Sign in to follow this  
Vik

How to Setup Case Fans with a Watercooled System?

Vik    0

So I am one of the apparently few happy users of a watercooled system using 2 Aquagates to cool my CPU and Videocard respectively.

My new case though not a Coolermaster one, will be using some silent Coolermaster fans with a Aerogate to control noise. There are 2 fans in the case one large 120mm on the rear and one 80mm side case fan with a heating duct over where the CU will be.

Obviusly the heating duck is of marginal value since I watercool, but my question is how should I set up the case fans? Should the big 120mm fan be reversed to suck air in to cool my Northbridge ad hardrives etc and the 80mm blow air out or should I set it up as stock with the 120mm fan blowing air out and the 80mm blowing air in?

Thanks for your thoughts!

ice_cubed    0

Your power supply is exhausting hot air out the back. If you reverse your fans then they will draw in some of that hot air from your power supply. I don't recommend reversing your fans.

Why don't you try it both ways, monitor your temperatures and let us know which worked best for you.

merovingian    0

Ceiling fans, PSU, side and rear fans should all be out going for maximum cooling. I must say that it probably sounds pretty loud there.

ID    0
Why don't you try it both ways, monitor your temperatures and let us know which worked best for you.

Exactly. There's no reason why you can't try different configurations and see what works best. That's probably the best way to do it anyway...

Vik    0

Will do folks, I think I'll stick with the stock approach for now since the idea of blowing in exhaust air from the PSU seems like a bad one. Honestly I don't think it's going to make too much of a difference either way but it'll give me something to fiddle with when I'm bored.

Thanks for the thoughts