Sign in to follow this  
notoriousbigs

Stacker 830 now available

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron

exactly correct and which is going to be nicer? cos that things fugly, looks worse than when B got drunk and was dancing in his man thong.

ID    0

Here's the problem I see: CM made a case that doesn't appeal to any group of customers really. While it's price is prohibitive for most home PC builders, the case itself does not offer necessary features that a big-budget server tower might require. At SunDial there are two cases listed for $289: the Stacker 830 and the Lian Li V2100 Plus.

The 830 has room for 9x 5.25 slots and 4x 3.5 slots while the V2100 boasts 7x 5.25 slots and 12x (!) 3.5 slots.

The Lian Li case has casters and offers noise insulation, while the 830 has the unique distinction of being able to mount a rediculous number of fans.

It seems the only edge the 830 really has is its ability to mount a variety of different mobo form factors. How much of a difference does this make? I'm not sure.

My point here isn't to make a comparison, but to highlight points that might have made for a better case. We'll see how the case does once it hits store shelves.

Guest dogin   
Guest dogin
My point here isn't to make a comparison, but to highlight points that might have made for a better case.

I have a Lian Li for my 2nd system and there is just no comparison vs the original Stacker as far as cooling. I had to cut fan holes in my side window (did on the Lian Li too) to get the air flow that is standard on the 830. The side fans keep both vid cards cool and dump air right in front of the CPU fan intake. Keeps the system cool with CPU clocked to 3Ghz, ram to 500DDR and vid cards to 529 and 1300. The Cross flow keeps the mobo 2C cooler than when its turned off. Looks like the 830 will do all that and more right out of the box. As for the wheels, I took them off the lian Li because even with them locked and the rubber rings the case was not stable (unless put on a carpeted floor which I would not do.). Count me as one for the 830 and the 2nd systems new home (the old stacker).

I'm Sorry but I've always been a function over form guy. There will never be a better stacker than the STC-TO1. I welcome the 830 to the Stacker family. But to me it's pretty much a second cousin.

Guest dogin   
Guest dogin

"Which Lian Li case were you using? There are many models...."

V1000, but the design concept is similar (ie hd and ps area isolated in bottom of case with front intake fan pumping air to that area. Although the 2100 is a full tower vs medium on the v1000) There is no cool air coming through up top unless you put a side window fan in. No blow hole and hot air collects in top. The wheels look to be the same. The v2100 was considered vs the 830 as was the Silverstone TJ07 but after seeing what the air flow in an original Stacker does, the 830 wins in my mind. The lighter construction of my Lian Li also transmitts more hard drive noise that seems to eminate from the front fan grill area. Can't even hear the raptors in the stacker. Just my thoughts!

With Quad SLI coming (ie dual GPU cards), the side window fans on the 830 should be a huge benefit. Putting filters on the insides of the fans should keep it clean and cool.

pic of lian li http://xs.to/xs.php?f=IM000041.JPG&h=xs54&d=05452 (pic taken through mirror on wall ie window faces wall)

pic of stacker original http://xs.to/xs.php?f=IM000032.JPG&h=xs53&d=05446

Pic of Dell modded http://xs.to/xs.php?f=IM000010.JPG&h=xs32&d=05235

http://xs.to/xs.php?f=IM000029.JPG&h=xs49&d=05403 (ps nothing wrong with a Dell 2.8GHz P4,raided drives etc. for work apps and PVR duties and keeps the gamers clean and mean)

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron
I'm Sorry but I've always been a function over form guy. There will never be a better stacker than the STC-TO1. I welcome the 830 to the Stacker family. But to me it's pretty much a second cousin.

and he wouldn't hit it.

the stacker was a revolutionary idea (altho alot of the ideas were ressurected ideas) but the 830's gone and taken those and thrown them away in favour of aesthetics. that fan bracket isn't good at all its justpostioned to put as many fans on as possible, not direct them to where they would be best used, and theres no filter, lots of dust, it will mess up airflow as the golden rule is to have 1 out for every in.

also quad sli is a combination of 2 sli chipets you can only use 2 of the 4 cards at any one time since they're 2 different sli groups.

the only real bad thing about the stacker 1 is the 3-4 module otherwise its pretty darn good. the 830's basically taken away its ability to watercool internallty the 2nd psu function was never giong to be used by a home user (unless they loved gimmicks) it just seems to me that cm has finally strayed and is producing crap now, just let me ask what is so innovative in the 830 that wasnt in the stc01.

muaddib    0

I really hope CM won't phase out the good ol' and solid STC-T01, because there won't be any chance i'll be compromising on this flamboyant alternative. Sorry.