Sign in to follow this  
platonicsolid

nVidia Quadro FX 4400 cooling? (Son's Christmas present)

merovingian    0
Edit:

Go here and create a log in. Post asking these questions...

-Can you flash 6800GT to Quadro 4400+?

Thanks for the link, but I have no idea what it means to "flash" a 6800GT, or why I'd want to ask, since I already have the Quadro 4400.

It used to work on some older nVidia cards. The idea would be to sell your 4400 and flash a pair of 6800GT's to 4400 and run them in sli. This way you would save money and nearly double graphics performance.

With respect to the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Mobo and 4 Gigs of Corsair TWINX2048-4000PT 2GB Kit DDR500 XMS4000 Memory, the Mobo manual states:

"Due to the South Bridge resource deployment, the system density will only be detected up to 3+GB (not full 4GB) when each DIMM is installed with an 1GB memory module."

Does this mean installing 4 Gigs is overkill, and essentially throwing money out the window?

merovingian    0
With respect to the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Mobo and 4 Gigs of Corsair TWINX2048-4000PT 2GB Kit DDR500 XMS4000 Memory, the Mobo manual states:

"Due to the South Bridge resource deployment, the system density will only be detected up to 3+GB (not full 4GB) when each DIMM is installed with an 1GB memory module."

Does this mean installing 4 Gigs is overkill, and essentially throwing money out the window?

Strange, I think. 4Gigs is not overkill for many applications including heavy 3d modeling and video editing as well as regualar system users who demand the most snappy systems.

Okay, my asus A8N-SLI Deluxe manual says,

Due to chipset resourse allocation, the system may detect less than 4GB of memory when you installed four 1GB DDR memory modules.

Interestingly enough the $78 Asrock 939NF-4G-SATAII Mobo I got for my mom for her xmas build makes no mention of a 4GB memory limitation which perhaps is the reason for the -4G- in the model number, hmm.

First time seeing this so I'll have to get back to you on it.

One other thing. I can't seem to figure out if the Corsair TWINX2048-4000PT Memory (64M x 8 DDR SDRAMs) is single- or double-sided. This seems to matter with respect to Dual-Channel mode. The Mobo manual says the Max speed for 2 or 4 memory slots filled with single-sided ram = DDR400, but Max speed for 2 or 4 slots filled with double-sided ram = DDR333.

RaptorFury    0

double sided ram is it has both sides of the stick with mem chips . 8x64 is how many chips u have x how many megs per mem chip is so 8 mem chips x 64 megs = 512 megs of memory , most of the time these are only single sided memory 16 mem chips x 32 megs = 512 megs of mem but it will gurentee that it is double sided .... ok as far as ur board conserning mount of memory and type of mem , if u use 4 double sided memory sticks ( again it has memory chips located on one side then the other ) it will drop ur fsb to 333 ( basically u slowing down the board ) or you can use 4 single sided memory's ( again it will have memory on one side not the other ) i will ost pics , it will still run at 400 Fsb . bc in order for dual channle to work porperly u can use only 2 sticks of double sided memory 16x32 x 2 sticks or 16x64 x 2 sticks in dram slots 1,3 this will maximize the full potential of the mainboard ......

Double sided memory ( please note this is not 16x32 or 16x64 memory this is just to give you an idea )

1060646522.300.jpg

Single sided memory

Image3.jpg

Now if u notice there are 8 chips on one side but not on the other hence single sided memory , if you intend to use dual channel memory on ur board u can only use 2 stick's of double sided memory any more then 2 u lose the dual channle part and ur mainboard will slow itself down ( again instead of 400 bus speed ( 200 fsb ) it automatically drops to 333 bus speed ( 166 fsb ) and will run a divider accordingly ...

suggestion : get 2 x 1 gig sticks ( 16 x 64 ) of memory from ocz or corsair with as low of a latency as u can afford it will boost performance and stabilty up on ur current board and allow loads more Overclocking head room if ever chosen to do so ........

Thanks for the very thorough reply, but the Manual doesn't support your statement RaptorFury: "for dual channle to work porperly u can use only 2 sticks of double sided memory". It quite clearly states that you can use 4 sticks of single or double-sided memory for dual-channel operation.

Is there even such a thing as 8x128 single-sided 1 Gig?

Corsair claims these are tested to 500Mhz: http://www.corsair.com/corsair/products/specs/twinx2048-4000pt.pdf. What's the point if the Mobo chipset can't support it (or is this where overclocking your ram comes into play?)

RaptorFury    0

yes it basically telling you , the tram is rated at 250 fsb ( 500 Bus ) at such and such tming , and such such voltage . that its a qurentee it will reach that fsb . if u use 2 sticks of double sided mem u will get dual channle any more u lose ur dual channle , or u can use 4 x single sided memory for dual channle so . 2 tmies double sided memory 2 x 2 ( bc of both sides ) = 4 banks or 4 x 1 = 4 banks ( 4 sticks times 1 bank )

If you take a look at this Intel Dual Channel Spec.: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-011965.htm you'll note that it makes no mention what-so-ever of single sided (1 bank) verses double sided (2 bank) ram. No offense intended, but unless you can back-up your claim (with a reliable link) that dual channel mode is lost with more than 2 sticks of double-sided ram, I choose to disagree.

RaptorFury    0

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Mobo

thats ur board its not intel its an amd , Intels have different support structure then Amds bc amd doesnt have the mem controller like intel ....

right from the manual

MSI Reminds You...

The maximum memory speed decreases when the

Memory Combination is selected (you can also refer Recommended

Memory Combination list shown in the previous

- Each channel is installed with two double-sided modules

- Both DIMM1 and DIMM3 slots are installed with

memory module.

Due to the South Bridge resource deployment, the density

will only be detected up to 3+GB (not full 4GB)

DIMM is installed with an 1GB memory module.

so like i said in order to use dual channle only 2 double sided memory moduals can be used in slots 1,3 . any othe memory used in the other slots usually results in loss of dual channle mode , and make sure it is same brand , same density , same speed ..... these are amd chips not intel lil different .... and you cant use more then 3 1 gig sticks of memory ....

merovingian    0
right from the manual

MSI Reminds You...

The maximum memory speed decreases when the

Memory Combination is selected (you can also refer Recommended

Memory Combination list shown in the previous

- Each channel is installed with two double-sided modules

- Both DIMM1 and DIMM3 slots are installed with

memory module.

Due to the South Bridge resource deployment, the density

will only be detected up to 3+GB (not full 4GB)

DIMM is installed with an 1GB memory module.

I'm not saying your wrong, I just don't see how this supports your arguement raptor. All these things seem they could be true and the thrust of your arguement still be incorrect.

Intution tells me two things. One is that 3x1GB modules is much slower than two because DDR needs to be paired to work properly and ram always defaults to the slowest timings, hence you would be running at non-ddr speeds with 3GB of ram. The other is that... well the other is that I just can't believe that my mobo doesn't support more than 2GB of ram at ddr speeds. In addition, I can't further support my position without looking further into it so do you have difinitive evidence or are you just that confident that this is the case?