Sign in to follow this  
platonicsolid

nVidia Quadro FX 4400 cooling? (Son's Christmas present)

Thanks for all the advice. The Graphics card is running at 67ºC. At this point it seems that I'd get the most bang for my buck by changing gears and focusing on a memory upgrade. I'll probably do what I always do, which is max out the Mobo with the fastest ram I can afford. In this case: 4G = 2 sets of Corsair TWINX2048-4000PT 2GB Kit DDR500 XMS4000.

merovingian    0

4G? you mean $500

That's cheaper than I thought, I would get that for sure. :D

Save your pennies for the quadro version of the 7800GTX. :wink:

RaptorFury    0
my gpu is water cooled now a 6800le and it helped tremendously , i went from 50 idle to 62 full load 425 @ 1.4 core volts stock hsf to 37 idle 41 full load 456 @ 1.5 core volts . i can go higher but i be breaking it in a lil bit more i maxed it out at 465 on the core .

So what was overclock before and after WC?

stock the core was at 300 core 700 mem 1.1 volts core at 45 idle 54 full load 16x6 pipes . at 1.1 volts my overclock was limited to 388 core 988 mem , after bios mod volt upping and timing change my core went to 425 core 960 mem 50 idle 62 c full load on a stock air hsf , i went to water cooling temps dropped to 34 idle and 37 full load i then redid bios tightened ram up more and upped core volts to 1.5 and i am currently at 456 core 912 mem 37 idle 41c full load currently and thats after a couple of hrs of playing starship troopers , need for speed most wanted , and chronicles of riddick ........... also not forget i now am running my cpu on water to and its temps are at 31 c idle 2200 xp mobile 218x11.5 = 2507 at 2 volts ...

.... and platonicsolid 67 c is a lil high for being at idle.

Equinox    0

Watercooling GPU's or other after market cooling is mainly for quiet not for performance for today's gpu's just so you know what your getting. I've done both the aquagate and a highend watercooling solutions and it just isn't worth it at this point.

:?

merovingian    0
my gpu is water cooled now a 6800le and it helped tremendously , i went from 50 idle to 62 full load 425 @ 1.4 core volts stock hsf to 37 idle 41 full load 456 @ 1.5 core volts . i can go higher but i be breaking it in a lil bit more i maxed it out at 465 on the core .

So what was overclock before and after WC?

stock the core was at 300 core 700 mem 1.1 volts core at 45 idle 54 full load 16x6 pipes . at 1.1 volts my overclock was limited to 388 core 988 mem , after bios mod volt upping and timing change my core went to 425 core 960 mem 50 idle 62 c full load on a stock air hsf , i went to water cooling temps dropped to 34 idle and 37 full load i then redid bios tightened ram up more and upped core volts to 1.5 and i am currently at 456 core 912 mem 37 idle 41c full load currently and thats after a couple of hrs of playing starship troopers , need for speed most wanted , and chronicles of riddick ........... also not forget i now am running my cpu on water to and its temps are at 31 c idle 2200 xp mobile 218x11.5 = 2507 at 2 volts ...

That's very impressive raptor!

Platonicsolid is running the equivilant of a 6800Ultra EE 512MB with different drivers. I would imagine that most of the potential is unlocked on a graphics card that costs $2500 new and that water cooling wouldn't be that much of an improvement. I used a high end watercooling solution on an overclocked venice 3000+ and a 7800GTX and didn't even see a 1% increase for the XFX7800GTX@490mhz over air. Same for the venice chip with a great overclock for that time that even at 1.55v over the 1.4v stock chip on the bios that allowed that voltage it wasn't a clear improvement over aftermarket air.

.... and platonicsolid 67 c is a lil high for being at idle.
Did he say that?

4G? you mean $500

That's cheaper than I thought, I would get that for sure. :D

Save your pennies for the quadro version of the 7800GTX. :wink:

Oops, I should have said "4 Gig". Just so you all don't think I'm insaine, I purchased the FX4400 off eBay for $1,150. That's the max. price I'd be willing to pay for that card considering its age. If I couldn't get that card I would have gone for the new(er) FX3450 which has vertually identical performance specs.

I'll have to contact my son and get back to you on what was running during the 67ºC reading.

xstax    0
In this case: 4G = 2 sets of Corsair TWINX2048-4000PT 2GB Kit DDR500 XMS4000.

Thats some kickass Ram right there. The AMD guys can tell you better if it's a match for your CPU but it's certainly a step in the right direction. The bottleneck in the systems current config is because of the Ram Bus Speed. You can technically resolve that with value ram, i feel the better cas latency of performance ram is worth it but either way you're going to get a good performance increase.

67C if under load seems fine but if it's idle it could be a problem. I'm gonna look at your case but if that's a load temp and not an idle temp you can probably completely ignore the rest.

I'm looking at a picture of a Lian Li PC-60USB and what I see is 2 front intakes and 1 80mm exhaust. Most of us here have cases that have good air flow. A lot of us add blowholes and such to improve cooling. When cooling becomes an issue I'd say most of us start with the case. Bringing the interior temperature of the case benefits all the components. The case your son has is desent but the exhaust is limited to the PSU and a single 80mm fan. My opinion is you need a blowhole at the top and a 92mm or 2 80mm fans in the window to cool the video card. The 80mm fan at the back I just don't think it cutting it for exhaust and looking at the size of the case I'm guessing the video card is trapping hot air below it.

xstax    0

I was looking Corsair and saw a few articles. The first link is to their articles some are actually really good reads and tend to deal with Ram in general not just their products.

http://www.corsair.com/corsair/tech_notes.html

The second link deals with Ram timings and shows how much good timings can really effect system performance. As is the case with a lot of Corsairs articles they reference game benchmarks along with some other standards like Sandra and 3dmark. This also backs up some of the thoughts on value vs performance ram since a lot of value ram just can't handle good timings.

http://www.corsair.com/corsair/products ... rmance.pdf

I figured I'd post this in this thread since the subject matter was resently discussed.

Edit:

Go here and create a log in. Post asking these questions...

-Can you flash 6800GT to Quadro 4400+?

Thanks for the link, but I have no idea what it means to "flash" a 6800GT, or why I'd want to ask, since I already have the Quadro 4400.

RaptorFury    0

u cant flash a geforce card to a quadro , but it is possible to soft mod it from geforce to a quadro my 6800le is now a 4000 quadro . and it is real simple to but not allways a performance gain but most definetly a quality gain

Video cards have a bios like a mainboard does if you have the right software and utilites u can do a lot to a video card ie up core volts / change the timings on the card stuff like that to increase its performance with no hard modding to the card