Sign in to follow this  
platonicsolid

nVidia Quadro FX 4400 cooling? (Son's Christmas present)

xstax    0
I don't know if you're aware of this or not, but that ram is seriously hampering your system's performance.
It's part of the never ending upgrade sequence. There's always something that should be replaced and a performance price to pay if you don't. The ram that's there was migrated from the previous Soyo SY-P4X400 Dragon Ultra Mobo. Do you really think a significant/noticable performance gain would be realized by upgrading ram?

I would certainly agree with ID on this one. 3GB would seem ideal but the speed here is the main issue. I resently upgraded from 2GB Corsair Value Ram to a 2GB Corsair XMS DUal Channel kit and my application and gaming performance leaped forward. I'd never seen such a difference increase with a Ram upgrade. I was skeptical about buying performance Ram but I'm definitely sold on it now. Also most motherboard run ram in dual channel mode so you might be better off with a 2GB or a 4GB configuration to get that dual channel benefit.

But as far as the graphics card... what temperatures are you getting. Nvidia cards can typically handle upto 70C without issue. I've heard reports that put them as stable at as high as 85C.

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron

If it runs really hot on air, i wouldnt get the aquagate as its only marginally better than air as mero found out when he used it for a watercooling system, your better of buying a small prebuilt kit which could actually handle it.

Sorry saying this, but i think that you can get a better performance with an outside watercooling that with aquagate... Really sorry coolermaster, but is the truth...

RaptorFury    0

the auqagate be a perfect set up for a video card it should be more then capable to handle it . the video card doesnt produce the heat near that of a cpu ..... and it has a higher temp range then that of a cpu ..... personally IMO the AuqaGate may not be effeceint enough for cpu but it be perfect for other things like vga , hdd's , chipset , but with the proper modifications it can be made to handle lot more ....... and its not like he wants his temps down to 36 c on the video card ...

Equinox    0

I would just air cool the thing for now. The card is showing it's age either for Quadro line or consumer cards. I do Solid works and master cam for a living. I find that consumer cards work even better than Quadro's. They say there is room for error in some of the animations but I have never seen it myself. If everyone was so concerned about the error's then all the cad machines would be ECC memory. Getting a breathable case like the CM stackers and putting a window fan blowing directly on the card will do wonders for you. The CM stacker 810 has been released and is available for X-mas. There are fans out there that you can research for high performance "even in some threads here". WCing is open to various opinions. I will let you know before I started Vapor cooling my WCing rig was aroung 900 bucks:(. So, it is my opinion before you start WCing, you research it to the infanant degree.

PS: there are many improvements the system could use before WCing is and issue. AMD and memory. which one is your weakest link? Like that hasnt been run over by a steam roller uh 100 times.

merovingian    0

First, why do you care if it's running hot? If your running the stock cooler it should be fine unless it's passive and I bet it's not. Stick to your stock cooling unless your having issues with noise. For stability issues you probably need to start looking other places before assuming that cooling is a solution.

The point about the 4GB vs 3GB is correct, you want to run your sticks in pairs for sure on that system.

I would personally doubt that you're going to see any major increase in performance from "high speed" ram but I'd have to know more about what processes you find need a speed increase but PC2100 is pretty slow. Ohh and don't mix and match slow ram with fast ram as it all defaults to the timings of the slowest chip.

Watercooling GPU's or other after market cooling is mainly for quiet not for performance for today's gpu's just so you know what your getting. I've done both the aquagate and a highend watercooling solutions and it just isn't worth it at this point.

So my advice is to overclock that X2 on an solid aftermarket CPU cooler, four sticks of PC3200 value ram and make sure he's running xp pro to take advantage of both cores. If you think he needs the faster ram I would purchase both and test them before deciding to return one. Most importantly I would get rid of that PSU before it fails. I hear nothing but bad things about xconnect psu's and what happens to much of the hardware when they fail.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forums. :D

Edit:

Go here and create a log in. Post asking these questions...

-Can you flash 6800GT to Quadro 4400+?

-Is 3ds SLI ready and are there benches? If so, how does a pair of 7800GTX's stack up to a single Quadro 4400+.

Then post the link here if you need input.

ID    0

Wow mero, does all of your computer advice involve overclocking?? :D

merovingian    0
Wow mero, does all of your computer advice involve overclocking?? :D

That's right! :P In fact if it were me I'd ebay that 4600+ and pick up that 939 Operton 165 and clock it to 2.7Ghz cause everybody loves a free lunch. :D

RaptorFury    0

my gpu is water cooled now a 6800le and it helped tremendously , i went from 50 idle to 62 full load 425 @ 1.4 core volts stock hsf to 37 idle 41 full load 456 @ 1.5 core volts . i can go higher but i be breaking it in a lil bit more i maxed it out at 465 on the core .

merovingian    0
my gpu is water cooled now a 6800le and it helped tremendously , i went from 50 idle to 62 full load 425 @ 1.4 core volts stock hsf to 37 idle 41 full load 456 @ 1.5 core volts . i can go higher but i be breaking it in a lil bit more i maxed it out at 465 on the core .

So what was overclock before and after WC?