Sign in to follow this  
jetys1

CM Stacker - USB

jetys1    0

I wonder how many of you have got the full 6 USB ports working on the front panel of the stacker.

I have a newish mobo Gigabyte IC7 Max, but only have 4 USB headers. which I believe is pretty standard, therefore 2 of the USB ports cannot be used.

Various other devices have need of the USB headers as well, so I am reduced to having only 2 of the ports active at the front.

I know it is a minor issue, but what is the point in having 6 ports when they cannot ever be used.

I have tried looking for other add on headers but they don't seem to exist.

Out of interest I have recently purchased an all in one card reader that has throughput for the SATA power and DATA cables, a really neat feature if you can get an external SATA drive.

nauthiz    0

Jetys1,

I ran into this same problem when I purchased my Stacker. I was unable to find the solution at the time. However I started looking again this morning and came across

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6815124002

SYBA PCI USB 2.0 & 1394a combo card Model SD-COMBO-02

I have not purchased one (but am planning on it) and from what I can find it seems like it will fit the bill, having two of the internal connectors the Stacker uses for connectivity.

Hope this helps

Karma Ghost    0

You may not be able to use all of the Stacker's headers right now, but having extra USB on the front makes the Stacker able to work with future motherboards which will likely have more USB headers. Boards like the Asus SLi board already have 3x USB headers.

But, as nauthiz pointed out, buying a PCI card with internal USB headers will do the job.

/temp    0

Two unused USB2 sockets reserved for future use?

- In the future we have wireless USB and firewire 800. Not six USB2. Destop USB2 hubs have been invented, too.

- Who is plugging six USB devices in the front panel, by the way? If one has that many USB devices at the same time, then they are probably permanently attached and hence better plugged in at the rear of the computer (not cluttering the front).

Why not cater for contemporary needs instead?

That is: FireWire 800 for hard disks, card readers for CompactFlash/SecureDigital/MemoryStick? Make it a removable, interchangeable panel.

-_JonA_-    0

well, i've add 4 ports of them, 'cause my mobo has only 2 headers...

but the maximum use, was 2... 'cause I don't like cablemanagement in front of my case!! only USB memory stick, and Digital fotocamera... and very often a joystick, of the SideWinder...

Karma Ghost    0

They're there in case someone wants to have all 6 of their USB headers directed towards the front panel. If not, some are unused, which isn't really a big deal for most people. As I mentioned, current nForce4 motherboards like the Asus SLi board already have enough headers for the Stacker's front panel. Some of the Intel 955x chipset boards have 4x USB headers inside.

A lot of things use USB2. Everything from flash drives to hard drives, joysticks, and card readers. I know most people would not put 6x USB in front, but not everyone wants a card reader up front. I have a card reader that does everything, and I wouldn't want to buy a case that has an extra card reader that I wouldn't use.

Because it is a matter of opinion what you do with your front panel, going with USB is a sound option in my opinion. USB will do pretty much everything. Firewire is not nearly as popular as USB.

I still really don't understand the basis of your agrument. Are you upset because you cannot fill the USB up front or because you think other stuff should be up front instead?