Sign in to follow this  
Equinox

What is considered overkill?

Equinox    0

My father was getting rid of some server racks and I was able to sell 2 of them for the company I work for. After the deal was done he made me an offer of one of these racks

http://cgi.ebay.com/42u-Compaq-9142-Ser ... otohosting

and a 3000 watt UPS with 2 full shelves for 100 bucks. I jumped on it as fast as i could. Was thinking that if I would build a cascade system or something in thoughs lines this would give me more room than anything out there. Problem is there is really no options for componets. Everything would be custom. This thing looks rediculious setting in my puter room. Is this just to far. Or would other people think this option could be worth it. I think along the lines of future proofing and this product would fit anything that is to come.

Eq

RaptorFury    0

i say go for it and let the modding begin i would baybe shorten it up a bit from 78 " ( 8 feet tall ) to maybe 48 inches or 36 inches , and maybe shring the width down a bit from 24 inches to maybe 18 inches that make a good starting point for ya ... lots of modding just to do that .....

ninuhadida    0

cut the thing in half and make a monster machine, one with the hardware, psus and stuff, and the other with a 120.3 rad, reservoir and other stuff..

merovingian    0
mod it to look like a mainframe from the 60s/70s
Brilliant! If you get the tapes to actually move with the hard drive light, I'll give much props. :D

Equinox    0

I was going to seperate the rack in two sections. Top: I will do an inclosed insulated sealed cabnet. Bottom I will put the compressors. Thanks for the advice. The modding a 60's 70's main frame is hilarious!! Nice.

ID    0

Vacuum tubes anyone??

That would be a rediculous mod. If only I had the time and money...