Sign in to follow this  
titanx

What kind of PSU features you hope to see ?

/temp    0

I would like a PSU to be utmost quiet and yet provide ample high quality power.

- High quality means, for me:

a) protection from overload, overtemp, overvoltage, shortcircuit etc.

B) standards compliance. And it would be the SSI version 3.5 standard (quad rail EPS12V etc.). That would certainly satisfy the ATX standars, too...

c) high quality capacitors that don't leak (and break the motherboard)

d) a warning signal (to desktop and/or beep) when the PSU temperature rises too much (and advance warning of overtemp protection shutting it all down)

- Ample power means at least two high-end cpus and gpus, and a bunch of sata disks OR dual PSU setup.

Other ideas:

1) Modular design with pluggable cables would be very nice.

2) Lots of molex cabels sleeved together and one short lead (a few inches) with a molex connector sticking out every few inches. Would be nice for multi-hdd setups. Make the molex snake for eight hdd.

3) quiet fans

4) Minimum exiting air turbulence by correct design of the AIR DUCT behind the PSU.

5) A switch to optionally turn off the leds. Blue light makes one think of arcs and fire (you could add a little speaker, though, to get some very cool electric buzzz to impress teenagers ;). I want MY PSU to be dark and dull. This belongs to the same class with water cooled PSU. I wouldn't dare to touch such a computer with a wooden stick... It just FEELS dangerous. Now, if it's plastic tubing with isolation liquid, then it's a different story.

6) Just sink the PSU internals in thermally conducting isolation liquid. Let the heat be conducted to the computer case or an optional radiator. Such a wet PSU might be 0 dB(A) and quite powerful. If it would leak it would not even destroy the computer - it isolates... The only problem is to design the heat conduction such that it is better than the present air cooled ones. Maybe not that practical, after all?

7) Passively cooled low power SLAVE PSU for hard disks / opticals / fans

8) Smart fan that cools the PSU (and case) after power-off until a certain temperature is reached.

ID    0
If Cooler Master can get a very high efficiency power supply, they can probably turn it into a fanless design with some heatpipes or copper work. Cooler Master is the king of coolers so show us what you can do with cooling a power supply passively!

Great idea. As far as I know, it hasn't been done. I don't know if it can be done. But if CM could hack it, it really would be an amazing product. I would certainly buy one!

8) Smart fan that cools the PSU (and case) after power-off until a certain temperature is reached.

My Enermax PSU does that, and it really is a feature I appreciate. All PSU's should be equipped with this.

Blaze    0
If Cooler Master can get a very high efficiency power supply, they can probably turn it into a fanless design with some heatpipes or copper work. Cooler Master is the king of coolers so show us what you can do with cooling a power supply passively!

Great idea. As far as I know, it hasn't been done. I don't know if it can be done. But if CM could hack it, it really would be an amazing product. I would certainly buy one!

Are you kidding? That has been done already, a dozen times atleast.

Unless you're referring to a passive (high-power) PSU with the efficiency of an active PSU.

That unfortunately can't be done, simply because the more power you produce, the more heat you generate. Passive PSU's generally aren't very good at dumping heat (hence most put out only about 300W-400W).

Also, more heat = less efficiency (if I remember my early physics correctly...)

You could solve the problem with some sort of hybrid fan/passive heatsink design, but that has also been done a few times already.

I'd day bring on cold fusion, that should do the trick ;p

Hybrid-Mods    0

Well actually, the more power efficent the power supply is the less heat will be generated. Because let's say this, for the real power 450 watt powersupply, it has a 75% effiency at average loads, so let's say the internal components of the person's computer is taking in 150 watts, at a 75% effiency the psu itself would be taking in 200 watts AC to convert it to 150 watts DC, Which in terms makes the heatoutput of 50 watts. Now if the efficeny was at 85% which i think it should be. on the same 150 watt load the total AC wattage coming from the wall would be only 170 watts coming from the wall which equates 30 watts of heat output. So the Higher the efficency the less heat ouput there is. I really hope my figures on the numbers are correct. Regardless Higher efficency=Less heat output

Just for you who didn't know

RaptorFury    0

well you could put on adjustable caps on the outside to adjust the voltages ... and also put a voltage meter somewhere on it or put it where the user could put it on the front , not so much as how much wattage u r using but what ur current volts are at ... as far as cooling the Psu you could use a copper Heat sinks for the mosfets and other components that need to be cooled with a good moderate cooling fan(s) blowing air across it , And also put an access plate to allow us the user to dust the Psu out ... Now if you really need more cooling then that i would start looking into whats causing ur Psu to get so darn hot , and maybe clean it once in a while it needs it just like ur cpu / gpu hsf's do ,

Hybrid-Mods    0

From the current Real power 450 design.. I would like to see copper heatsinks with alot of surface area, and higher efficeny. The fan is fine, it's quiet enough for me.

Blaze    0
Well actually, the more power efficent the power supply is the less heat will be generated. Because let's say this, for the real power 450 watt powersupply, it has a 75% effiency at average loads, so let's say the internal components of the person's computer is taking in 150 watts, at a 75% effiency the psu itself would be taking in 200 watts AC to convert it to 150 watts DC, Which in terms makes the heatoutput of 50 watts. Now if the efficeny was at 85% which i think it should be. on the same 150 watt load the total AC wattage coming from the wall would be only 170 watts coming from the wall which equates 30 watts of heat output. So the Higher the efficency the less heat ouput there is. I really hope my figures on the numbers are correct. Regardless Higher efficency=Less heat output

Just for you who didn't know

You're absolutely right, but that's basically another way of saying what I just did:

More efficiency = less heat

More heat = less efficiency

But if I'm correct efficiency isn't the independent variable. As far as I know you can't just 'set a PSU' to say 85% eff, and then churn out all the power you want. As soon as you remove the active cooling, heat inside the PSU goes up (because it can't get rid of it quickly enough). That in turn wreaks havoc on efficiency. Which is (correct me if I'm wrong) why all passive PSU's have such lousy efficiency ratings.

So theoretically, you could improve a PSU's efficiency by improving its cooling potential. And that's just about the problem with passive cooling, correct?

dread    0

sorry, just skimmed the thread but imho the x-connect psu is a pos from an efficiency stand point. From a modder pov, it's great. I have one in my show rig and a PC P&C in my day-to-day gaming rig that runs 24/7. Too each their own. If CM can bridge the gap between asthetics and functionality, they'll have a winner.

waterblock in a psu is still a wide open market but it's gonna be a small market. I think it'll be awesome and I would grab one for my next rig!

I'd also like to see an external psu, like the bricks for laptops, but with 500 watts and perhaps a thick cable from the psu to a back plate that mounts where it would normally go and then from there the various rails are broken out to the various components. Understandably the lines would be longer then usual and would added to the overall resistance, hence less efficient... but it would reall free up some case space and also allow the use of full size psu in sff with the proper back plate. Of course this could be easily built by a modder... hmmm... I guess I got my next project. CM want to send me a psu to play around with?

I'm actually in the process of building a custom PSU for my CMSTACKER it will be done in December. It will have these features

1. 950 watts

2. Water cooled

3.half modular (There's no point in it being all modular like the ultra)

4.duel 120mm fans that go through the top of the case.

5. Meter that not only shows watts and volts but a 5 min history and temp

6. All aluminium housing to match the Stacker bushed aluminum style

7. Two voltage knobs to boost the GPU and memory

Just to name a few. Wish me luck.