Sign in to follow this  
titanx

What kind of PSU features you hope to see ?

dhooge06    0

MTBF: 100,000 Hrs. @ 25°C, Full Load

Operating Temp.: 0 ~ 50°C

Model: ST65ZF

Output: 650W / 710W (peak)

+3.3V: 33A

+5V: 24A

+12V1: 13A/18A (peak)

+12V2: 18A

+12V3: 16A

+12V4: 8A/13A (peak)

-12V: 0.5A

5Vsb: 2.0A

+3.3V & +5V: 170W Max.

+12V Quad Rails: 504W(42A) / 540W(45A) peak

the video card and mobo are the last agp for me as im seeing pcie has for a while now dominated but attempted to improv system for its last time a 6600 card worked fine but im wondering if its a mobo prob or bios which im having prob updating Asus bios because of outher trafic to sites.im supposed to call Evga about the 7800AGP card on monday,there online help refered me to a call center.the card allso does not work on 2 outhe computers.ive allso hooked up a second powersupply to run hard drives disc drives and fans to give best chance of full amps at bord.Next comp is in begining stages and with slow purchse of pice at a time is year and a half off but want to keep old comp up and working good for lan party use.

dhooge06    0

this is the third powersorce by diffrent companys, ranging from 500 to 650 watt actually the 4th if you count the first one i sent back for RMA from current company.

dhooge06    0

my card says will operate at 1.5 but theres a 1.7 volt option in bios i tried it and when playing Far Cry i get farther play time pf about 15 min i was allso finally able to update bios to most recant stable.still cuts out vid

Koradhil    0
The ultimate PSU would have:

- Separate dedicated 12V rails. One for drives, the other for video.

- dedicated capacitors on the 12V molex for the video card

- modular connections so you don't have unecessary items plugged in

- at least 34 amps total on the 12 V rails

- current load based fan speeds instead of temp based. By the time the PSU is hot, it's too late to cool. This is more proactive.

- Good quality heatsinks

- Front panel monitor of all three key voltages

- adjustable rails with contollers on front panel

- BTX support

- SATA cable runs

- fully sleeved

- anything but white molexes

- 120 mm fans

- quiet

- external molec support of back of PSU

Add:

- Fan will continue to run for ~2 minutes after pc shutdown

- Switch to force PSU switch on (instead of shorting the ATX connector green/black), except for the ATX&P4 connections. So molexes have continuous power but ATX will switch on only when power button is pressed.

Remove:

- Front panel monitor. It costs extra and most people don't need it. Make it an option instead. Also don't include the power meter from the RealPower 450/550, it's hardly of any use. If you're going to introduce a front panel monitor for the PSU, it should have: 3.3/5/12v rails monitor (digital please..), temp monitor, fan control & external molex connector.

The external molex connector at the back of the PSU is a VERY good idea. It's original, very usefull and easy to implement (I think).

Edit: Sorry didn't see that this topic has multiple pages..

lrankine    0
I like the new Neo Power from Antec where you can just use the cables that you only need. I think this would be a good thing.

Completely agree with this idea. I just finished upgrading my case (Cosmos S) and PS (CM Real Power Pro 1250 watt). I was a little disappointed with the Power Supplies lack of a on/off switch and that the connectors were not removable. Having to find a place inside the case for all those unused connectors is not helpful for cable management.

P.S. Hello to everyone! This is my first post on these boards since I've become a CM "family member." :D

Maxession    1

Reason there isn't a switch:

1. Currently PC on/off action can be done by operation system (PS _ON signal can control on/off of PSU). Therefore, the power switch is not necessary.

2. CM 850W PSU is a high wattage power supply and its relative input current is extremely high than normal power supply. Therefore, the power switch will require supporting such high current going through. However, these kind of switches with safety are rare in the market now and the reliability is not good enough. And that’s why Cooler Master will like get.

3. The most important reason why we do not design the power switch is to avoid the electronic damaged by inrush current. Real Power Pro 850W PSU is a high capacity PSU. The input current is about 15 amps in worst case. However, the transient inrush current will be 150 amps ~ 200 amps high in the worst case and this high current will cause extremely high temperature. The heat can even melt the metal reed inside the switch. Due to this safety concern Cooler Master decide not include power switch in our high power output model power supply.

Also for other high power PSU's. Link

CM has Modular PSU's (M serie), although they haven't been able to release them to the US yet.

lrankine    0
Reason there isn't a switch:
1. Currently PC on/off action can be done by operation system (PS _ON signal can control on/off of PSU). Therefore, the power switch is not necessary.

2. CM 850W PSU is a high wattage power supply and its relative input current is extremely high than normal power supply. Therefore, the power switch will require supporting such high current going through. However, these kind of switches with safety are rare in the market now and the reliability is not good enough. And that’s why Cooler Master will like get.

3. The most important reason why we do not design the power switch is to avoid the electronic damaged by inrush current. Real Power Pro 850W PSU is a high capacity PSU. The input current is about 15 amps in worst case. However, the transient inrush current will be 150 amps ~ 200 amps high in the worst case and this high current will cause extremely high temperature. The heat can even melt the metal reed inside the switch. Due to this safety concern Cooler Master decide not include power switch in our high power output model power supply.

Also for other high power PSU's. Link

CM has Modular PSU's (M serie), although they haven't been able to release them to the US yet.

Thanks for pointing that out Max! :thumbright: I figured there was some reasonable explanation that eluded me. Could it be that this is also why the connecting cables were not made so that they could be removed if not used?

Fireheart    0

So

(Edited for brevity)

The ultimate PSU would have:

- Separate dedicated 12V rails. One for drives, the other for video.

- Dedicated capacitors on the 12V molex for the video card(s).

- Modular connections so you don't have unnecessary items plugged in.

- At least 34 amps total on the 12 V rails. (More now?)

- Proactive fan speed control, based on current load, instead of temperature.

- Good quality heatsinks

- BTX support

- SATA cable runs

- Fully sleeved

- anything but white molexes

- 120+ mm fans

- Quiet

- External molex support on back of PSU

- Fan will continue to run for ~2 minutes after PC shutdown

- Testing switch to force PSU to switch on (instead of shorting the ATX connector green/black), except for the ATX & P4 connections. So molexes can have continuous power, but ATX will switch on only when power button is pressed.

And the voltages can be adjusted via software, as part of the ESA integration package.

Be Well!

Fireheart