Sign in to follow this  
titanx

What kind of PSU features you hope to see ?

ninuhadida    0

I don't have a modular psu, but the bunch of wires that i didn't use like pci-x, 2 molex rails, and some other i've just taped them with electrical tape, black, so they wouldn't be seen with the black background :) and i don't like one fan only psu's especially with just 1 120mm fan. cuz there will be a lot of air turbalance, mine for example has a 92mm blowing over the heatsinks, and an 80mm at the back exhuasting air out. and just in case the psu overheats, (i can control the back fan, which is always on low) there's a few holes in the psu looking at the drives, so if the airflow is un-balanced, this balances it out.

knghtbrd    0

Yeah, I really need two fans in the PSU because of the Praetorian's lack of sufficient exhaust for the CPU. I am still seriously considering trying to order the newer Praetorian tray with the two fans. It's probably essential for a WTX setup in this case.

ninuhadida    0

you can always mod the tray if you want.. i've seen a guy that had originally 1 fan at the back, but he did 2 with some dremel work.

knghtbrd    0
you can always mod the tray if you want.. i've seen a guy that had originally 1 fan at the back, but he did 2 with some dremel work.

Need a place to work to do that, and I worry about vibration doing it that way. Easier just to try and get the part.

There are two PSU-related mods I am considering. Haven't picked one yet. Mod #1 involves carefully trimming out a few mm of the C-channel at the back around the PSU opening, carefully deburring the result so that it's like the rest of CM's edges, and then adding the kind of edging used by another case maker who can't be bothered to clean their edges as much as CM, just to make it a little more bumbling-idiot-proof.

Mod #2 is more complex, but I think will have a better result with my current PSU--drill out the rivets holding the top in place and reattach with flat-head machine screws. This is probably the better mod since it'd allow me, while I'm at it, to nibble that top fan hole to 120mm, etc. I worry about the stability of the case if I do that, but I should be able to reinforce it with some C-channel. It's the better mod, but depends on me being able to fabricate the reinforcement without a work area.

Either mod will allow me to slip the PSU into the case without worrying about the rear C-channel scratching my shiny PSU.. ;)

I'm actually in the process of building a custom PSU for my CMSTACKER it will be done in December. It will have these features

1. 950 watts

2. Water cooled

3.half modular (There's no point in it being all modular like the ultra)

4.duel 120mm fans that go through the top of the case.

5. Meter that not only shows watts and volts but a 5 min history and temp

6. All aluminium housing to match the Stacker bushed aluminum style

7. Two voltage knobs to boost the GPU and memory

Just to name a few. Wish me luck.

I'm willing to help you with your system but please post specs that require 950W, why you want to watercool and the rest will impress me very much. Much, much luck to you. :)

Thank you merovingian for your support! sincerely! I'm so happy you've offered to help I'm going to need it . exspecaly with the LCD history display that will be build into the side of the PSU and be seen through the side window .

The reason for watercooling is from what i understand a PSU as it warms up it starts to lose power slowly over time. So I'm thinking this will help.

The reason for the 950 is that I'm going to be upgrading to a Tyan Thunder K8WE in December . Starting with just one Opteron 200 CPU and 7800GTX and some RAM( it's going to cost me $3000 just to fill this board 1/3 of the way up!) So it looks to be 500 to 600 watts once I have everything in it . And as we all know if you only put a 60% demand on a PSU it will last much longer. So I hope these answers don't make you think I crazy because I really would appreciate the help. And remember now that you are a moderator so you have to be nice to me :wink:

Also just so you know how crazy I'm .The coolant is going to flow directly over the MOSFET's at 45 degrees. THX again.

ice_cubed    0
I'm actually in the process of building a custom PSU for my CMSTACKER it will be done in December. It will have these features

1. 950 watts

2. Water cooled

How is that better than using two power supplies? A pair of 550 or 600. One for the motherboard, one for everything else. Wouldn't that cost less too?

ninuhadida    0

yeah you can get 2x500w ones, cost less, looks nicer (in my opinion) and you can have fun wiring your own stuff, so better cable management 9if you have the time ;) )

merovingian    0

Cool, sounds like a kickass system! Well, I would say to start with one 550W PSU until you move to the other 7800GTX unless you put a huge amount of storage in there. Man, it's going to be FAST! 8)

1. 950 watts

2. Water cooled

How is that better than using two power supplies? A pair of 550 or 600. One for the motherboard, one for everything else. Wouldn't that cost less too?

I'm not going to have room for two PSU's Because of the coolant chiller on the bottom of the STACKER. And it is two PSU's in one. All inside a brushed aluminium case. You know for looks!? Modding!? stuff like that.

The cables are going to come out of the bottom of the case instead of the back and not just through one big hole but through strategically placed holes all along the bottom. You know like for the ide drives the holes will be near the front and the atx near the back It's going to be 13 inches long and fasten to the top of the case with 4 chrome 1/4 inch bolts. it will encompass the 120mm fan in the top of the case and i will put one more just beside it on the back . It will be cool. SO GET ON BOARD!! :)