Sign in to follow this  
Guest dogin

Anyone cut a fan hole in their Stacker window yet????

Guest dogin   
Guest dogin

The thing was so beautifully made, I have not had the nerve to cut a hole yet. Was going to replace acrylic with a glass panel cut/drilled for fan and then tempered, but to put that neat grove the acrylic has, costs a fortune on glass. Read the links saying routers needed to cut acrylic etc, but that looks iffy to me. Any recommendations?????

BroChaos    0

hehe, i wouldn't touch it, unless you don't mind shelling out another $30 if you mess it up :P

Guest dogin   
Guest dogin

I know and the $'s are not as important as destroying something put together so artfully. I guess when the newness wears a little more, I will try it. The original side fan decreased CPU temps 2-3C and cools the ram and vid card so it is usefull. The cross flow takes care of everything else. I had thought of a Lian Li, but so glad I went with this Stacker case.

Chumly409    0

If you have a college or trade school locally, they will generally do some pretty nice CNC jobs for just the cost of materials. Give 'em a call...they can do some great work for next to nothing.

I used to do a lot of that in school (not computers obviously...wastn't a fad then :P ), for people that wanted nice designs for plexy panels in sub boxes or their own logo in billet aluminum. I still have stuff done at schools, and even a reputable machine shop isn't that really expensive. The set-up charges get's the cost high, so the more complicated the design, the longer it takes to program. Simple holes or slits are fairly quick though.

But, ummm...that's in plastics. I've never used glass in a PC. I wouldn't even know where to start in attaching it to the panel.

Saiyan_Trb    0

i've moded the side of my CoolerMaster Side Panel, and it was really easy if your careful. Heres what you do.

Materials:

12-18v Drill

63-68mm Hole Saw with a 1/4 inch drill Mandrel (bout 20 bucks AU)

5/16 inch drill bit (bout 5 bucks AU)

masking tape

steady hands

80mm CoolerMaster Neon Blue Fan (my choice)

A stylish 80mm fan grill.

Step one:

tape the front and rear of your cm stacker window with masking tape.

Step Two:

place the 5/16 drill bit on the drill, and slowly drill the pilot hole for the holesaw.

Step Three:

Replace the 5/16 drill bit with the Holesaw and line up the pilot hole woth the drill, the start drilling really slowly (speed 1 on the drill), eventually the holesaw will push through the perspex.

Step Four:

Now that you have your hole, place the fan over the top of the hole and use a pencil to mark the four holes for the fan. Then grab the 5/16 drill bit and slowly drill the four holes.

Step Five:

Now that all the drilling is finished, clean away the the debre and remove the masking tape.

Step Six:

Screw the fan grill and fan on to the case, make sure it is not to tight or your crack the perspex. Then its all DONE!

I hope this is helpfull :D

you can MSN me on Saiyan_Trb@hotmail.com if ya want a hand while your cutting the window.

Guest dogin   
Guest dogin

Really appreciate all the info. I would have used a 80mm hole saw instead of what you recommended and see the benefit of a smaller size to fit actual fan blade size. Although the school approach is tempting???? I do have a spare smaller window laying around I may try the cut it before I decide . Thanks again!!!

Guest dogin   
Guest dogin

Practice cut using hole saw on spare acrylic resulted in one cracked glass and one that needed sanding of rough edges and heat to clear the abraided edges. Not a good record for the final try so getting more acrylic tomorrow to practice on. The router was a laugh as I clipped the side of the hole and cracked it the first time and could not do it in subsequent tries. Much harder than I thought! (for me anyway). Was a new router bit and started with a small one in a drilled out hole. For me the hole saw may be the best if my second attempt was not just extreme luck???? By the way I could not drill the fan screw holes on slow speed as it cracked the glass. If I went high speed it went through and left a slight melted ring that sanded down (one ring just broke away clean). So I think I can do the screw holes????

Grump    0

There is an excellent article on drilling and trimming acrylics HERE.

My friend, Linear, has an excellent FAQ on acrylics HERE.

Regal Plastics has a downloadable PDF file on acrylics HERE.

Grump