Sign in to follow this  
Leadman584

CM Stacker cooling issues.

Leadman584    0

Last weekend, moved my very crowded rig, from a Praeterian case to my new CM Stacker. Using 2 cages, I have 5 little Raptors, and 3 IDE drives. Board running cooler, than before, but still a tad warm. I'm installing an IHC-H71 (noisemaker),this weekend. Best clip on Heatpipe I could find. Also have a pair of Sunon 120mmx38mm fans to install (more noisemakers). Looking for advice on optimum distribution of additional fans. Cross flow fan not an option, Promise SX4 RAID Card very long, darn near touched the HD's in my old case. I plan to attempt mounting the current rear exhaust fan on the side panel, replace rear exhaust with one of the Sunon's. Should side panel fan blow in or out? Think carefully, really need exhaust. With a 6,000 RPM fan on the heatsink, will blowing cooler air directly at it help? Or will additional exhaust power help move air in through open 2 bays in front of case? Would I be better served putting second Sunon in Side Panel? Blowing which way?

With 2 PSU's in this case, I have a wiring mess. Could someone suggest a link to organizing all these darned wires. Sleeving would make bigger clumps of wires, I would think. Seen plenty of Pics of pro installs, but this is my first home build. Totally clueless as to how you manage all these wires, with connectors everywhere.

Is there an issue with the HLED?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm learning as I go. This is an edu-tainment project.

Guest dogin   
Guest dogin

Blowing in with a variable speed 80mm droppped my CPU temps 2 degrees C. It also hits the top of vid card and ram. My thoughts on blowing out would be that you would create a small flow pattern that would not help the mobo/CPU much at all?????? Get a good temp guage and place (I use 4 sensors) around the case at critical spots and test it. You can also use a smoke (fog) box to watch how fast it clears and what directions. Sometimes you can improve one area and make another worse. That cross flow does seem to do it all.

Chumly409    0

Side fans and anything up front blow in. Blow holes and obviously the rear fans blow out. It's just the general rule of thumb. I'd move the modest fan that came with the stacker to the side panel, and put the high speed fans up front on the HDD cages is they fit.

Just remember, what goes in, must come out (and vise versa). If you put the high speed fans up front and not upgrade the back, the air may try to escape out the big opening on the side. A fan placed here may just push hot air back in. Maybe. I'm having good luck just having no fan on the side and letting it educt in or out...just letting it do it's thing.

Mind you, it's an 80mm mount. If you want a 120mm fan, you'll need an adapter.

But I question the need to stuff the thing with fans. Boards run hot...they just do. There's a heatsink on any part that gets hot already. And if they are hot enough to need the heat removed even more, they have fans. These places are the Northbridge and the power area where all the caps are. Normal airflow over these caps won't cool them any better, unless it's ducted like Abit's OTES on the Max3's. Otherwise, it's just air blowing over them.

Fast blowing fans that push a lot of air through a case are really over rated. It's much wiser to make a nice gentle path that flows over the critical hardware and then point it out. Like a river that flows over hotspots. The standard case does well already, even with the slow/low CFM 120's. Adding a fast fan here or there may just make turbulance. Not good.

Leadman584    0

Thank you for a couple different points of view on air flow. Generally it is a good idea to have more exhaust , than intake. With this case, and it's open front, this should be especially true. I'll play with a few different configurations, and see what I get.

I have seen a couple of really nice reviews of this case, with professional installs. In both cases the wiring was very neat and uncluttered, unlike mine. The only way I this as possible, is by opening both PSU's, and unsoldering excess wires. Is this the way folks get neat looking cases? I have 2 fairly large bundles of unused wires and connectors. Besides being in the way, one is diminishing air flow. Surely they aren't just clipping the wires off at the PSU's?

If my questions sound silly, it's because I'm learning as I go.

Guest dogin   
Guest dogin

I have just rewired mine for the third time. What I did was heatsink and sleave all the non-sleaved wire lines. I took one line over the top and hooked it with plastic ties to the bottom of the PS box and it runs right along the corner of the box. Hooked the blow hole the two back fans, the side fan and the light to it. All connectors are pushed up with double sided tape against the back panel as they run down the back. Stuffed the two lines that have special connectors that I don't use up into the top in back of the Stacker control panel (thought about cutting them off but may need later so left them). Ran the dual lines (specific for vid cards) straight to the vid card and the Sata drives lines straight down right in back of opticals close to the cross flow fan. My front fan connector is hidden and attaches to the rail that powers my floppy, fan controller, cross flow fan swith which I moved to the back of the bay holding my fan controller (have to slide case side back to adjust speed, but not a problem as I either run medium or high all the time). The case looks clean. In another case I have that is not as tall, I rewired all the lines to the proper length with the number of connectors I needed and sleeved them (started with the first connector out of the PS and did not rewire the inside of the PS though I thought about it). Then just moved them out of sight and secured with plastic ties.

My thoughts on cooling, is smooth flow through the case as suggested, but taking outside inlet air for the CPU and vid card really seems to do a better job than using circulated case air. Using temp sensors you can optimize your air flow. A fogger(smoke) machine also works well, but I prefer to use sensors. I too do not like increasing fans to too high of speed with exception of special fans like CPU etc.

dropper    0
I have just rewired mine for the third time. What I did was heatsink and sleave all the non-sleaved wire lines. I took one line over the top and hooked it with plastic ties to the bottom of the PS box and it runs right along the corner of the box. Hooked the blow hole the two back fans, the side fan and the light to it. All connectors are pushed up with double sided tape against the back panel as they run down the back. Stuffed the two lines that have special connectors that I don't use up into the top in back of the Stacker control panel (thought about cutting them off but may need later so left them). Ran the dual lines (specific for vid cards) straight to the vid card and the Sata drives lines straight down right in back of opticals close to the cross flow fan. My front fan connector is hidden and attaches to the rail that powers my floppy, fan controller, cross flow fan swith which I moved to the back of the bay holding my fan controller (have to slide case side back to adjust speed, but not a problem as I either run medium or high all the time). The case looks clean. In another case I have that is not as tall, I rewired all the lines to the proper length with the number of connectors I needed and sleeved them (started with the first connector out of the PS and did not rewire the inside of the PS though I thought about it). Then just moved them out of sight and secured with plastic ties.

Pics?

Keith

Guest dogin   
Guest dogin

I will when I get completed window with fans etc.etc. Have to get a new camera as my digital walked out the door about a month ago and have been putting my cash into this computer. At least my computers have stayed put.

Leadman584    0

Just installed the floppy rails, graciously supplied by coolermaster. Wow, am I seriously pissed. I work in a sheet metal shop, and should probly go into the business of supplying this item. Slightly better than generic adaptor rails, but not by much. Faceplate only installs by removing retainer plate. Kinda hanging there, helpless. After beating on it for half an hour, realised there was a compatibility issue. Looks OK, but not very functional. Tried installing a fan on side, but of course whomever installed the grill, stripped out all 6 screws. Gotta lower the torque on those AirWrenches. No chance of using current box, with side fan. Gonna hafta design a replacement side. Looks like side was meant to accomodate an 80 mm fan, not a 120 like the rest of the case :twisted: . Why in God's name would there be even 1 80mm fan in a case touted as be a possibble server solution. Gotta mod the crap out of this thing to get adequate exhaust. Still no HLED display, why in the name that is all that is good, did I not spend a couple of extra dollars, and get the Lian Liu case?

Really, really pissed at this case for so many reasons. Just put a respectable exhaust fan in. Why could'nt Coolermaster do this? Wimpy 120 mm fans are fine for joe sixpack, but joe sixpack doesn't buy this case. I'll gladly spend a few hundred extra dollars in the future, for decent cases. Enjoy you're experiences with Coolermaster cases, but I think I'll go for quality from now on. Later.

Grump    0

Wow, that was quite a rant there, leadman. You came here for help and got it in spades. We're real sorry the case didn't meet all your expectations of a custom build to your standards. If you really do have a few hundred dollars to spend, why don't you check the Cooler Master site for some great 120mm fans -- you'll have more than a couple hundred left over.

If the door on your case is faulty, let us know and we'll replace it. If you want a door custom made to your specifications, we can handle that too -- but it'll cost you extra. If you have problems we can help with, please let us try. If all you want to do is rail on about how life lets you down when the screws are stripped, I guess you can do that too.

Thanks for sharing,

Grump

FOP    0
I work in a sheet metal shop, and should probly go into the business of supplying this item...

Whoa! This case is great.

Everything I've heard from CM was that the FDD/HDD rails supplied by CM were meant to be a temp fix. I used them for a couple of HDD's until I could get my hands on another 3-in-4 device and have been totally happy with them. Sure they're not any feat of engineering or design but they do the trick.

I haven't seen anything better coming for free from Lian-li. Heck, I've never heard of Lian-li giving an ounce of support to anyone. I know they never responded to my numerous requests for MB try mounts.

I too was a little baffled by the side fan bracket but it took all of two minutes to measure out new holes on the existing bracket and drill mounts for a 120mm. And heck, I don't even work in a metal shop... :lol:

As to the "wimpy" exhaust fan, I love it because it's quiet. I've got a few monster 120mm's I'd gladly trade for your wimpy CM ones.