Sign in to follow this  
Death_Korps

skt 939 Opteron OCing with what ram?

merovingian    0
well im getting 4 gigs but in two seperate purchases, so i think ill leave it on until i get the full 4.

performance increase / decrease noticable?

It's fine but if you wait too long you don't want to turn off page file with even 4GB, right? Turning off page file is admitting you are so far in front of the curve that you don't need your HD to store relevent data for running programs and clearly 4GB is not going to be ahead of the curve forever. Perhaps page file is a better option for you in the future as well.

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron

what 4 256 sticks? if so then no, 4 sticks @ 1T is not possible at overclocked speeds not even on the dfi crossfire. 2T yields significant performance loss, its either 2*512 or 2*1gb for the time being unless you really NEED 4gb's its not worth it, me and mero are always right.

Death_Korps    0

well actually mindless i meant drop the page file to 256mb instead of whatever it is, i assume it goes up in size ammounts equal to ram.

other than that i have decided that i am not going to spend mass amounts on my pc at the moment due to a possible country hop in the near future therefore that would make spending masses now pointless.

however with 2x 7800 gt's in sli and 4 gig of ddr 400 ram with my opty at 2.6ghz (fx 55 speed and with the same core :D ) it would be plenty fast for the near future wouldnt it?

merovingian    0
well actually mindless i meant drop the page file to 256mb instead of whatever it is, i assume it goes up in size ammounts equal to ram.

other than that i have decided that i am not going to spend mass amounts on my pc at the moment due to a possible country hop in the near future therefore that would make spending masses now pointless.

however with 2x 7800 gt's in sli and 4 gig of ddr 400 ram with my opty at 2.6ghz (fx 55 speed and with the same core :D ) it would be plenty fast for the near future wouldnt it?

An overclocked athlon64 3000+ is more than enough for gaming needs for a long while. Your budget an how often you upgrade is certainly a factor but I would probably get a single 7800GTX 512 when the price comes down, the 4Gigs of value ram, an athlon64 3k+@2.7Ghz or an opteron 165@2.7Ghz depending on whether or not you want dual core, IMO.

Death_Korps    0

o

well i have a 7800gt and the opty at the present and that can handle Far Cry ay 1024x760 at maximum graphics settings with shader model 3.0 and HDR on at usually 35

= frames and that was with the opty at 1.9ghz and 512 pc2700 , so i am hoping that the new 4gig of pc3200 and the opty at 2.6 it would be in the 40+ range :?

Death_Korps    0

also at the moment even with the poor 512 ram and the opty running at 1.89ghz its scoring 7000 to 7300 in 3d mark 2005 depending on heat which is usualluy at 30C max for cpu

merovingian    0

Far Cry is very memory intensive, 2x512MB sticks of PC3200 Value ram is fine but with less your going to get some slow down on that set up. What I'm saying is that ram is your limiting factor here and your new set up should clean that up. 4Gigs huh? Sweet! :D Don't forget to turn off the page file.

Your opteron can probably run to 2.7Ghz but that mobo doesn't usually go above a 290Mhz HTT setting which is fine for what you want to do. Let us know how it goes! :P