Sign in to follow this  
Death_Korps

skt 939 Opteron OCing with what ram?

Death_Korps    0

Hi

i have just recieved one of the new socket 939 opterons which are basically underclocked fx chips and i am unsure about what ram to get

i have looked at many solutions but can anybody help me?

http://www.memory-configurator.co.uk/br ... 2GBZX.html

this is the best i could find so far and is pretty much the maximum i can afford

can anybody say whether this would be good for overclocking and if not suggest some which is please

Death_Korps    0

the computer will be mainly used for 3d design and gaming, however i am also looking into doing sound related work due to the course i am attending at college.

the max budget for ram is going to be tops of £180

merovingian    0
the computer will be mainly used for 3d design and gaming, however i am also looking into doing sound related work due to the course i am attending at college.

the max budget for ram is going to be tops of £180

Hard to beat the gskill at that price. Anyway it looks to me that those are 4 512GB sticks where you might want to go with 2x1GB Corsair value ram instead since you are working with 3d design and probably benefit from deleting your page file on 4GB. For what your doing, you don't need fast ram, you need a fast GPU so I would put your money there, IMO.

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron

corsair has released a 2gb kit of 2*1gb pro sticks rated at pc3500, seems like a good bet to me. since your doing 3d design i would also place alot of money in the video card department.

Death_Korps    0

well its 3d design (3ds mx 7 and lightwave) flash, gaming and audio development on my pc.

the G.skill are 2x1gb sticks so i could always get to 4gb that way

the motherboard is an Asus A8N SLI Deluxe and i am planning on 2x 7800GTX 512mb's in SLI

would that be sufficient?

i think the quadro route is too expensive so

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron

yea that does seem like a good choice but remember if your using hte 4 1gb sticks to delete your pagefile and that the only board capable of running at 1t is the dfi crossfire board, however since your getting those dandy fantastic video cards from nvid i'd wait for the MFI SLI EXPERT board.