Sign in to follow this  
Death_Korps

Cooler master water cooling

merovingian    0

Yeah, if you want the extra frames, go with two high end cards in SLI or crossfire but only for the most GPU intensive games such as FEAR on highest settings.

Also, I thought I read somewhere that the human eye cannot even differentiate between 40 and 150fps in terms of smoothness as we rarely can see speeds in excess of 40FPS. Anybody else know about this? Easy enough to do with a decent graphics card, just set the setting on low quality and see if you can see a difference in smoothness at 640x480 vs. whatever your card can support just above 50FPS on average just to be safe (FPS is usually measured on average). If so, all this work and money through ram waterblocks, FX-57's vs 4400+ or 3000+(on a decent overclock) seems to be a waste of cash compared to a pair of 7800GTX's in SLI and in the event that you have that it seems to make sense that you don't need the other. See what I'm saying? :)

Equinox    0

Ram the bottleneck for AMD's?

Zebo's memory matrix

See, so between PC3200 and PC3800 there is little if even noticable difference in speed/frame rates, etc. Now people want to add crazy voltages to their ram and watercool it? It just seems like a little much. I have recently put together a fairly extensive watercooling solution using a 7800GTX, 3000+ Venice on a triple 120mm radiator. I benched each component before and after and really it comes down to some performance increases over a solid air cooling solution but not much. Mostly it looks cool, very quiet, but I won't be keeping the components long enough to find out if they actually last longer. I suppose at the end of the day while it makes a difference, it just seems to me the money would be spent better else where. No? Has anyone seen benchmarks for these watercooled ram sticks? I would really be impressed just seeing a reputable site review the technology and provide benches. Also the voltage regulator, if the multimeter says the voltages are solid under stress than I don't see how watercooling them helps but perhaps I'm not seeing the whole picture. :)

The link you sent is hilarious. I dont know if you ment it to be funny but he says all his ram runs on T1 timings. I mean you dont find that funny. Please go to DFI-street and see the 40,000 threads that ask why I dont boot. "Dfi is the only board I know that defaults to T1". If you would like sites to confirm any information on ram you should go to the manufacture. BTW I run 1.5-2-2-5 True T1 timings and 3.5v. Not one of his test include windbonds BH5 chip. After reading his T1 timings I gotta research that. I keep on looking to make sure im reading it right. I could be wrong but I dont think so. I promise you it is very important to buy good ram. It's not such a fluctuation in price for no reason. Also every frame is important to me. You may find 10fps not worth it.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/

http://forums.mushkin.com/phpbb2/index. ... 836267cba2

Test 1: Super budget crucial PC2100 ram Henceforth refered to as “old ramâ€

Equinox    0
Yeah, if you want the extra frames, go with two high end cards in SLI or crossfire but only for the most GPU intensive games such as FEAR on highest settings.

Also, I thought I read somewhere that the human eye cannot even differentiate between 40 and 150fps in terms of smoothness as we rarely can see speeds in excess of 40FPS. Anybody else know about this?

Science says 30fps for you eyes to not see a difference. I play CS:S though. Many peeps go way overboard in that saying you need 300fps. I think it depends on the person. People like Fatal1ty I would expect he could see a difference in 100fps to 60fps. The big deal is when alot of action is going on or your flying in BF2 you need it. A way to prove performance is take the colt in CS:S and fire it off and time how long it takes to empty the clip with 25fps. Then do it with 150fps. There is a difference. That would be important if that last bullet would have killed the guy!

merovingian    0

It's hilarious? That is zebo from anandtech. He has the only two stickies in the overclocking section on that site. Did you read the thread? I think you will notice that people don't take zebo's work lightly, he really knows his stuff. Anyway here are the stickies. FYI, anandtech is one of the bigger review sites on the net with among the largest forums on the net.

Anyway, lots of boards run 1T ram timings and lots of boards don't but usually it depends on the mobo and not the ram.

Futhermore, how can every frame be worth it if you can't tell the difference between 40FPS and 150FPS? Is it because you arn't running 40FPS or is it just bragging rights? So the answer is no, I don't care about 10fps unless I'm below an average rate of 50, who would and why?

Both links you posted are forums without threads, if there is something I should see I would appreciate a little more direction.

All in all, yes ram makes some theroretical difference that can be observed in benchmarks. 1T timings might serve up 5%. TCCD might serve up another 5% over value ram. But a high end graphics card is where you want your money if your going for FPS as anything above an ath64 at 1.8Ghz should suffice.

merovingian    0

Also, I thought I read somewhere that the human eye cannot even differentiate between 40 and 150fps in terms of smoothness as we rarely can see speeds in excess of 40FPS. Anybody else know about this?

Science says 30fps for you eyes to not see a difference. I play CS:S though. Many peeps go way overboard in that saying you need 300fps. I think it depends on the person. People like Fatal1ty I would expect he could see a difference in 100fps to 60fps. The big deal is when alot of action is going on or your flying in BF2 you need it. A way to prove performance is take the colt in CS:S and fire it off and time how long it takes to empty the clip with 25fps. Then do it with 150fps. There is a difference. That would be important if that last bullet would have killed the guy!

Well, actually it doesn't really work that way. The processor actually calculates the game play for you and the graphics card does it's best to keep up with showing you what's going on (at the level of detail that you specify). So, you don't fire any more or less bullets depending on your gpu. And no, fatality cannot tell the diff between 60 and 300FPS, and probably not above 50FPS.

Stop the presses! Did a little HW and came up with this...

oops!

I'm going to run this by a buddy of mine cause the artical doesn't cover studies. My friend studied biology at CalTech and is quite the multimedia guru. Anyway, it looks like from the artical that the eye can see many more frames than what I previously posted. :oops::roll::D Perhaps I have proven myself wrong once again, we shall see.