Sign in to follow this  
Stang

Question about new coolermaster NV block

Stang    0

I recently got into the water cooling scene with my own rig (set up a few for friends in the past), and went with the zalman reserator 1 plus. Thats all working fine and dandy, but the block it came with for the video card couldnt be installed as one of the mounting nipples was unthreaded, and rather than call up zalman and wait for a new one, I went searching for a better replacment.

I came across the "Cooler Master RL-VNC-CNU1" (http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product&p_serial=RL-VNC-CNU1&other_title=+RL-VNC-CNU1+Va-AQUA%20VGA%20Water%20Block%20for%20NV) on several sites, but found very little information in terms of user reviews. I will be using this with a leadtek 6800GT AGP, with a side mounted 120mm fan on the panel next to it. From the little information I have gathered this is a very good water block for this card, and I have seen people reporting very nice temps with 6800GTs and Ultras pushed to around 420/1200. Though I am not expecting to go this high, I would like to get atleast to 405/1150, currently on my stock heatsink I sit safely at 405/1170, and can even bench artifact free up to 420/1180, but games begin to artifact after just over an hour, which I cannot have as I am an avid gamer (just cant put down battlefield 2!).

I dont mind having slightly higher temps than I do now, nor do I mind having to reduce the overclock a little bit, its the price to pay to have silent operation :D And the coolermaster 120mm fans that I use on the case (antec super lanboy, 120mm intake front, 120 side intake, 120 rear exhaust, and 120 psu) do a great job of keeping airflowing through my case without any noise, so my ambient temps are great.

I just would like to know if anyone has ever used this water block on a 6800GT or Ultra (aparently even works on the 7800GTX), and would mind sharing their experiences with me.

I have searched the forums lightly and didn't come up with the results I was looking for, but if my question has already been answered, I would appreciate it if someone could kindly link me :)

thanks in advance!

-stang

ninuhadida    0

well , i don't use one, but looks good. solid copper, low price, fits the tubing for the zalman too. i would have liked to see other connector size.. but. and the RAM cooler looks good too. won't be a prob since you have some nice airflow. i'll say buy it, after all it won't empty your pocket. i've gone with an air cooler, since i don't wanna ditch into wc again.. had a bad experience with the block cracking (not CM's) and wc needs maintanence and you gotta be more careful with it. after all, all i want is stablility, not really looking at AWESOME temps and overclockability :mrgreen:

if you get it, post some comments about it, k ? :wink:

Stang    0

thanks for the reply ninuhadida, I think I will just snag it and see how it goes from there. Ill order it today and spend a lil while between now and it arriving to get some temperature readings and I'll post back with a little mini review.

[Mod Edit]Please keep discussion of competitor products to a minimum. Thanks.

But like you said, if the block is nothing special, its not gunna break the bank :P

*edit*

ok, order has been sent, should be here in a few days :D

ninuhadida    0

well yeah, but since i got some expensive hardware for cheap (got a 6800gt for $145) i don't really wanna fry anything..

oh and to let you know, we're on the CM forum, so please let's not talk too much on other products :wink:

happy wc'ing with your new block!! :D

Stang    0

well I figured maybe if I talked about my zalman, some CM guys would hop in and talk about the CM block, but...maybe not :roll:

ninuhadida    0

i was just trying to mean, that we shouldn't mean to start talking about zalman :wink: or else a moderator will ahve to pop in.

just to let you know :wink:

Karma Ghost    0

The odds are somewhat unlikely that someone here has already used that combination of card/water block. The block is relatively new and the forum's frequent member basis is rather small.

If you check around some other large OCing or general computer forums, you are more likely to find people using the block in conjunction with the 6800GT/U or with the 7800 series cards.

The forums here are generally used for tech support. That not only limits the size of the forum because it is a centralized topic (tech support for CM products), it also makes the rules a bit more strict about talking about non-CM products. In that way, it is against the rules to talk about non-CM products unless you are asking a question about how it works with a CM product.

ninuhadida    0

CM did a great job about the blocks, but they gotta make them compatible with other tubing sizes.. i mean 1/4" is small, 3/8" is the normal and 1/2" for oc'ers, even tho i don't see a difference in oc'ability, apart from being harder to route in the case.

RaptorFury    0

from the designs and looks of thier blocks ( Cm ) they would do great on high flow set ups ( i said that before ) but for overclockers doesnt really matter on what size thier barbs are or how high thier flow rates are its how we overclockers match the system . if it were me i would figure out a way to maybe mod the block to accept 3/8 or 1/2 inch barbs and do a really good lappin that block would surprise ya ...

edit : Karma i am part of a overclocking forum and i havnt heard anyone use Cm blocks yet , most of the time we recommend other companies water cooling propducts . mainly because of thier ability to be easier to adjust to the user preference and they are proven in hard core overclocking world .

Stang    0

I understand that you dont want me talking to much about other companies, thats fine with me, my focus with this topic was about find anyone who has used this block on any card, not just a 6800gt in specific. Any note that I can get relating to its construction, ease of use, modability, or anything they can tell me would be helpful...I dont care if its a 300 word essay on how they openend the package, I'm looking for any general information I can find. Because aside from whats listed on the CM site, I have found very little.

I am an active member on many forums, and frequiently lurk around many others. I have found almost nothing on the block, from overclocking or general knowledge forums.