Sign in to follow this  
robot5x

System voltage readings - should I be worried?

robot5x    0

Hi all -

new here, hoping for access to the combined wisdom :)

My current system is in the sig, nothing overclocked, modded or anything like that.

I got this PSU as the DFI manual said '400W at least!'... but when I check the voltage readings on my system they seem to fall outisde of the suggested ranges -

[robot5x@domu ~]$ sensors
it8712-isa-0290
Adapter: ISA adapter
VCore 1:   +0.98 V  (min =  +1.42 V, max =  +1.57 V)   ALARM
VCore 2:   +1.62 V  (min =  +2.40 V, max =  +2.61 V)   ALARM
+3.3V:     +6.46 V  (min =  +3.14 V, max =  +3.46 V)   ALARM
+5V:       +4.92 V  (min =  +4.76 V, max =  +5.24 V)   
+12V:     +11.39 V  (min = +11.39 V, max = +12.61 V)   ALARM
-12V:     -16.07 V  (min = -12.63 V, max = -11.41 V)   ALARM
-5V:       -2.35 V  (min =  -5.26 V, max =  -4.77 V)   ALARM
Stdby:     +4.89 V  (min =  +4.76 V, max =  +5.24 V)   
VBat:      +3.01 V
fan1:     3183 RPM  (min =    0 RPM, div = 
fan2:     5273 RPM  (min =  664 RPM, div = 
fan3:        0 RPM  (min =  664 RPM, div = 
M/B Temp:    +35°C  (low  =   +15°C, high =   +40°C)   sensor = diode   
CPU Temp:    +33°C  (low  =   +15°C, high =   +45°C)   sensor = thermistor   
Temp3:       +29°C  (low  =   +15°C, high =   +45°C)   sensor = thermistor

Since I have limited knowledge of hardware (especially power supply stuff) this doesn't mean much to me, but obviously some of the voltages are 'out' and ALARM is printed next to them....

I haven't experienced any problems so far - no instability or rebooting or anything, so just wondered if someone could give me an indication if things seem alright or if I should go for even more power....

thanks a lot

(ps. if I start a 3d app I can hear some fans whirring down as if they're struggling a bit, if I stop it they speed back up again. perhaps my gfx card is eating up too much power)

Dark-Rain    0

Your 12v rail looks a little low to me, you might want to get a beefier power supply to handle whatever it is you are using, or switch some items over from the first 12v rail to the second, looks like as long as your molex connectors will reach you should be able to balance those voltages :)

ninuhadida    0

don't count on the software to measure voltages, get a multimeter and see what are the real voltages. yellow wire is 12v, red 5v, orange is 3.3v and of course the black is the ground.

T-shirt    0

(ps. if I start a 3d app I can hear some fans whirring down as if they're struggling a bit, if I stop it they speed back up again. perhaps my gfx card is eating up too much power)

That alone tells you you have serious power problems, but the numbers you posted are so out of spec, that they are worthless (if they were right your system would be fried)

You need a multimeter or a bigger high quality PSU

T-shirt    0

That alone tells you you have serious power problems, but the numbers you posted are so out of spec, that they are worthless (if they were right your system would be fried)

You need a multimeter or a bigger high quality PSU

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron

the xtreme power psu's arnt that good anyway, i saw that the 550w real pwoer cannot sustain its maximum load for more than 10minutes.

robot5x    0

Thanks a lot for the replies guys... think I'll borrow my friends 550w PSU and see what difference that makes. I'd like to test it with a multimeter though, but could someone outline EXACTLY how this is done please? Never done it before... :roll:

if they were right your system would be fried

well that's some relief (I think)... software sensors aren't reliable but like you say, the sound the fans are making do say that something is wrong

ninuhadida    0

put the red wire from the multimeter into the 4 pin molex, yellow wire and the black wire from the multimeter into one of the black wires from the molex. voltage should be around 12v. test this at load and at idle. put the red wire from teh multimeter into the red wire of the 4 pin molex, and the black into one of the black wires in the 4 pin molex. do this at load and at idle again. touch the red wire fromt eh multimeter with an orange wire from teh 20 pin molex. touch the black wire from the multimeter with the black wire from a 4 pin molex.

set the multimeter like this : http://www.doctronics.co.uk/images/meter2.gif

RaptorFury    0

well thats good way of testing a psu for volts . i never once checked my L&C psu ( 450 watt ) that way . i allways just looked thru mbm or thru bios to see how things are goin ( it not 100% ) but it will tell ya if things drastically changed , i been at 11.5 - 11.75 volts on my 12 volt line since i bought it 2 yrs ago . does it make it a bad psu, not really to me the average joe ( myself included ) just plugs the dumb thing in checks his temps and volts thru bios and goes from there . a good way to check a psu goin bad is by ur temps .... if you ran 44 c on ur cpu for 6 or so months then out of the blue ( besides being dirty and normal weather conditions ) you are now sitting at 50 c on ur cpu and windows reboots , closes out aps , crashes etc. etc. then thats a good indication that a psu is goin bad ..... also other things get hot too like video card , North bridge , south bridge chips , memory .

ninuhadida    0

well mine is stable, never had a problem with it. but it only has 1 12v rail, tho it never was lower than 11.96/ higher than 12.04v and the core voltage is 1.33v at load and 1.34v and idle. not that i have anything bad to mention about it.