Sign in to follow this  
KaZ

Top USB Ports Short out Computer

KaZ    0

I have a problem with my Wavemaster top USB ports.

Anytime I try to insert a USB device into the ports a spark occours and shorts out my computer resulting in total lose of power.

I'm obviously quite worried about this as I dont want to fry anything.

THanks for the help

knghtbrd    0

Sounds like you need to change the wiring on your USB cable. Every mobo maker makes them differently on their boards. I can't immediately tell you offhand which wire goes to which port, but obviously you need to correct this, preferably BEFORE you fry something (assuming you haven't already!)

Check your mobo manual and the slip that came with your case. You should be able to use a small flat bladed screwdriver to pull back the tabs so you can extract the pins, which can then be reinserted (they'll snap into place) in the order the mobo requires them.

KaZ    0

Thanks for the speedy reply

Just checked my mobo manual and all pins are correct so not sure what's up with it

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron

where are you in the world, i'd suggest getting an RMA on that part.

knghtbrd    0

Doh that's right, CM's USB thingy is in sealed plastic isn't it?

Kaz, if you've got a multimeter around, you can test the USB port pins to make sure they're connecting properly and don't short.

hyl768s    0

Some mother board manufactures like Gigabyte are not following the Intel standard USB lay out. You have to make sure that you have the compatible USB port before you connect the USB or Firewire cable. :!:

knghtbrd    0

There are standards for these things? (Does ASUS follow them?) I just assumed that I need to always check the wiring.

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron

i think its only gigabyte who dont follow the standard for usb header wiring, there should be 9pins on the header with a space for a missing pin, now on the connector there should be 9 spaces with one blanked out, usually its white, its pretty simple if you could take pictures it would help us.

KaZ    0

Thx for the reply hyl768s

I am indeed using a Gigabyte motherboard.

GA-7N400 Pro2

The pinouts appear to be correct though

I get a photo and post it

T-shirt    0
Thanks for the speedy reply

Just checked my mobo manual and all pins are correct so not sure what's up with it

If the pinout is correct, try vacumming out the USB ports, probably a little dust in there is making inappropiate contact :lol: