Sign in to follow this  
hed420

PleasePost YourOpinionsOnWhat LiquidcoolingParts I ShouldGet

ninuhadida    0

peltiers are very inefficient and as i can see the peltier i bought is power hungry - 26A for it to run on 12v. that's why you need a seperate PSU to power off the pelt.

Peltiers have hidden costs and may not be worth it to you. If you really must have it, buy, don't build.

What did you mean by that? Are Peltiers expensive to run?

If you really must have it, buy, don't build. I'm assuming your talking about the water block right?

Off the top of my head, some of the hidden costs.

- Someone else has already mentioned the extra powersupply.

- Peltiers generate more heat than they take away from the processor. Your watercooling setup takes that heat to the radiator. To help the peltier work better you need some combination of bigger radiators and more fans. That gives you more noise (which you may be ok with). The heat from the radiators has to go somewhere, and it ends up warming up the room the computer is in, which starts to defeat your cooling goal. Now your air conditioner has to work that much harder to remove the heat from the room. More money - unless electricity is free for you.

- Things with moving parts eventually break. That includes pumps. A watercooled system can get away with no pump for a while. With a peltier the water will be boiling before you know it. In a closed loop something has to give, causing a blowout. If you are lucky, all you have is a mess. On the other hand, maybe you are replacing a videocard or what ever is down stream from the leak.

My suggestion to buy vs. build was for a peltier+waterblock.

If your goal is to have a supper high bench mark, a peltier will not take you far enough.

If your goal is to have a stable 24/7/365 machine that is reasonably fast, put the money you would be spending on the peltier, extra power supply, and your additional electrical costs for the next year into a faster processor.

This is just my opinion. Don't take my word for it. Do your own research and calculations.

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron

whats the peltier for if its for the cpu id stay on water for the time and go buy a prommy later. ideally pelts should be in a seperate loop. pelts are not very popular as they dont have any safty features like that of phase change, if a components fails in a phase change unit, it shuts itself down pelts just keep going and generating heat will destroy a piece of hardware in under a minute. also you have to condensate proof your tubing and the area around the waterblock. and the psu's in question are traditionally menawell psu's which are exceptionally loud.

ninuhadida    0

you guys are changing my mind about peltiers :cry: lol i'm working on a project for my next pc. all i have right now are plans and ideas in my mind, and i'm trying to have my pc dead silent as much as possible. tmrw i'm going to work on the hdd bracket to hold 4 hdd's, and possibly use elastic stuff so no vibrations will be transfered to the case...

don't ask me about what hardware i will buy, b/c i don't even know. lol i won't buy anything like vgas, cpus and that stuff until windows vista is out. all i'm working on is constructing the case, and that type of stuff :)

EDIT:

hopefully by tmrw i'll have something like this (but no hdd's lol)

[]http://www.modmaniac.com/stuff/hdd_mounting.jpg[/]

pic taken from silent pc review.

ice_cubed    0
whats the peltier for if its for the cpu id stay on water for the time and go buy a prommy later. ideally pelts should be in a seperate loop. pelts are not very popular as they dont have any safty features like that of phase change, if a components fails in a phase change unit, it shuts itself down pelts just keep going and generating heat will destroy a piece of hardware in under a minute. also you have to condensate proof your tubing and the area around the waterblock. and the psu's in question are traditionally menawell psu's which are exceptionally loud.

You won't have any condensation on your tubing if the peltier is between the CPU and the waterblock. The tubing will be warm.

I have a meanwell in my case and it has never made any noise. The difference may be that my case is vented well enough that the meanwells fan has never run.

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron

im just going on info from a professional, he said meanwell psu's are normally loud.

To add to my list of hidden or additonal costs for peltiers:

- If the electricity in your area is unreliable, (I get a lot of brown outs), you will want to have a UPS. With multiple powersupplies you will either need a big expensive UPS or one for each power supply. Having your main powersupply on UPS, but not the peliers would be a very bad thing.