Sign in to follow this  
Loubushuk

Who has used dual PSU's in a Stacker?

merovingian    0
well, my idea was to have 2 exactly same psu's, and connect them, everything in parallel. you'll have to do wire by wire or you'll f*ck up everything... :lol:
Interesting, perhaps CM could make a psu that provided a connector that would link the individual rails. :idea: Too bad so few people use a dual psu set up.

ninuhadida    0

well i just had an idea.. buy 2 same psu's and connect the wires in parallel. obviously it would be challenging to wire up everything and have a good wire management

knghtbrd    0

wouldn't be so bad on a fully modular PSU. I say fully, meaning the ATX connector too. The Y cables would be attached to your PSU directly, one side going to the redundant PSU and the other going to standard components.

Both PSUs need overvoltage and short circuit protection, and it would be optimal if there were power protection circuitry in each device so that if one PSU blows, the other continues providing power without so much as a hiccup.

Ideally, a monitor would be checking both PSUs' major voltage rails to monitor the health of each PSU. I'm surprised there isn't an aftermarket voltmeter that can't monitor your voltages full-time. I know most boards' sensors modules do this, but only after the power has gone through some components that can (and do) interfere with the accuracy of your voltage readings.

ninuhadida    0

well, if it was me no thanks for y cables, would make things really difficult for cable managment. i have several molexes from blown up psus, (i have one which i shorted the capacitor, :lol: ) well, cut off the molexes from the 2 psu's, and then solder the same 2 wires from each psu with the wire from the other molex.

and about the voltage meters... that a good idea for CM to test out :roll: maybe do something analog or something like lcd bay screen which you plug in a 4 pin molex, or maybe a sata connector (since that thing has a 3.3v wire) and use the same idea about the ag2 so that when voltages are low it will give out an alarm. maybe even, plugging a pass-throu before the psu main, to check out how much wattage it is really using (i know, the real power series has this, but it would be more accurate to see actually how much power is being drawn in from the mains)

knghtbrd    0

I can see it now.. Digital meter called a VoltageGate 3, and an analog VoltageGate 2 to satisfy some lonely CoolerMaster engineer's fetish for bouncy needles...

thehawk    0
dont do it, it fragged my video card. You dont need it anyway, single psu can sasiate anyones needs, maybe not those with an SLI system with a 2 terrabyte raid 5 array.

Speaking of which, with these 7800GTX coming out, do you guys think a future system with - let's say - 2 512MB GTX SLI and a powerful CPU would require more than 600W? I mean, ahead of the future, will 600W PSU be enough?

I'm no expert so sorry if the question is stupid :D

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron

oh easily. the x1900 cards from ati in crossfire modes require 550w minimum, anyway there are several 1kw psu's comming out with some released already, no doubt cm will release a more bright version.

thehawk    0

Thanks for the reply MM. Allow me to ask another question then.

Is it better to have 2x500W PSUs or better to have one of 1kw?

Thanks.

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron

a single 1kw, you'd be using less power from the entire psu so it'd be quieter and moreefficent.