Sign in to follow this  
Loubushuk

Who has used dual PSU's in a Stacker?

Loubushuk    0

Has anyone out there had hands-on experience in using two PSU's in a CMStacker by connecting the CoolerMaster 24-pin "Y" Cable to each PSU and to the 24 pin connector on the motherboard. If so, can you explain to a "Newbie" which auxilliary connectors were connected to peripherals and which were left unconnected?

This is the CoolerMaster "Y" connector.

http://www.padis.co.uk/media/cmstackery.jpg

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron

dont do it, it fragged my video card. You dont need it anyway, single psu can sasiate anyones needs, maybe not those with an SLI system with a 2 terrabyte raid 5 array.

Loubushuk    0

Thanks for that. I was pondering about using two low wattage fanless PSU's from A**** or good old CM if they make them. I wonder what the reasoning behind CM making provisions in the CMStacker Case for two PSU's was, and also originally supplying 20-pin "Y" cables and then later 24-Pin "Y" cables. Perhaps someone at CM can say which PSU's they had in mind.

Ive been running Dual for some time now and it works perfectly. Not that i really need it right no but my rig is going to be upgraded with another 6800ultra and a Amd x2 4800 so illl be needing the extra power then. Im also running 10 harddrives 6x120mm fans and dual Promise ata133 controllers. The connector that came with the stacker works lika a charm :)

heres what it looks like

cablemanagementfromhell.jpg

And yes i know my cables looks awful but im lazy and i dont have a windowkit so :D And i also know that 2x480watt is overkill but i love overkill MORE IS MORE :D

Loubushuk    0

Thanks for the reply. I couln't identify the CM "Y" cable in the photo. It sounds and looks as though you are using most, if not all, the auxilliary outputs from the two power supplies. I was told that I would have to put dummy loads on all unattached power connectors. It would be interesting to see a diagram of the actual connections, but perhaps that is asking a bit much.

I sent an e-mail to A**** and received this in reply.

First we would like to apologize for the non-prompt response.

We brought this matter up to one of our engineers and we do not recommend the use of the adapter to any of our power supplies.

To play it safe, we suggest that you get in touch with CoolerMaster for recommendations.

Best regards.

Europe Technical Support>Un-quote

It seems that CoolerMaster are very quiet on this matter here. I thought that this was their official forum.

Thanks again, Loubush

POLO    0

Well if you are that serious about wanting two PSUs for more power and don't want to wait to hear back from CM or use the Y adapter:

[Mod Edit]Not ok. Sorry

That is 850W of the BEST power you can buy, if you need more then that I would be absolutely flabbergasted!

OR

Get larger HDs, so that you won't have to power multiple little ones.

EDIT: I dont' know if that is ok to recommend that PSU or not since it isn't CM, saw the rules and not sure whether or not that is ok. Since CM doesn't offer a PSU over 600 let alone 800 I just thought I might help?

ninuhadida    0

better get 2x500w than a 850w one. once i had a plan in using 2 psu's but not i don't really care, cuz i get a good psu. i find it more interesting in wiring up everything myself instead of using the stacker dual psu connector. nice cable mamangment, tho you gotta be careful

_ferry_    0

i'm using 2 powersupply's. But not with the Y cable.

I am using a realpower 450watt for the system. Witch also switches a relay to powerup the 2'nd PSU. The 2'nd is used for lights+ fan's ( 6x120mm, 8xCCFL, +/- 40 led's. )

Note that 2 powersupplys for the system (videocard and motherboard) cause damage, because they will be switched paralel, and that's not possible with powersupplies.

ninuhadida    0

well, my idea was to have 2 exactly same psu's, and connect them, everything in parallel. you'll have to do wire by wire or you'll f*ck up everything... :lol: