Sign in to follow this  
ice_cubed

Do you use the Cool Viva?

ice_cubed    0

I picked up a Cool Viva yesterday. I overlooked the last point in the FAQ about the north bridge needing to be at least 25mm away from the video card slot.

It won't work with an ASUS P4C800 or an ASUS P4P800. I think it might work on my ASUS A8V, but only because the stock north bridge heat sink is so short. These are all AGP motherboards.

What motherboard are you using the Cool Viva on and is it an AGP or PCI-E video card?

bigmike20vt    0

Hi

i am thinking of getting one of these as it seems a universal fit so could be used for other graphic cards in the future, & is only a few quid dearer than the arctic silencer.

can anyone comment on how good it is? i currently have a sapphire ati 9800pro, have unlocked the 360 improved xt shaders however i cant overclock the core or ram yet as it runs so hot with the standard fan.

noise isnt really an issue in my gaming rig, just cooling performace.

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron

The coolviva is prettym uch a piece of junk.

ice_cubed    0

can anyone comment on how good it is? i currently have a sapphire ati 9800pro, have unlocked the 360 improved xt shaders however i cant overclock the core or ram yet as it runs so hot with the standard fan.

I cannot comment on how good it is, but it does look nice sitting outside the computer.

One thing you should know if overclocking is your goal - it makes no contact with your ram, so you will get no ram cooling.

bigmike20vt    0

ok thanks for your responses guys, it does look like a nice piece of kit however i think i am going to go with the tried & tsted competitor due to mixed opinions on here & the fact that the exhausts the hot air

domoMKIV    0

i bought it for $7 because I despised how loud my stock fan on the 5200 Ultra was....it cooled better and was much much quieter.

however installation is a pain in the :) and i wouldnt do it again but it does fit on these motherboards that ive run it on

MSI KT3 Ultra

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum

Shuttle AN35N Ultra

all AGP.

ice_cubed    0
i bought it for $7.

At $7 it is disposable. The lowest price I found around here was $20.00.

Do you have any tricks for istallation?

I was able to put it ASUS A8V, but it covered two PCI slots.

domoMKIV    0

At $7 it is disposable. The lowest price I found around here was $20.00.

Do you have any tricks for istallation?

I was able to put it ASUS A8V, but it covered two PCI slots.

The only trick I have is to use a small scredriver with a good handle (for torque) that you can find. Those screws are such a pain to tighten down.

Nobody76    0

Me also using Cool Viva on Asus motherboard. As mentioned the gap between the North bridge is less than 25mm.

So I decided to tried the full assembly exclude the top large heat sink, and it's work.

Without Cool Viva, normal temperature is 45 deg C.

With Cool Viva, current temperature is 40.5 to 42 deg C.

Will have to drill 4 extra holes on the top large heat sink to fit it onto the assembly.

Will post the pic once i finish modding my Cool Viva...:D

Hybrid-Mods    0

how do you get 360 improved xt shaders enabled? I haven't heard of this. I've only heard of flashing the card with an xt bios