seanleroy

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Very Noisy

seanleroy    0

I bought this CPU cooler many years back and it has been incredibly loud since day 1. I thought that was the way it was meant to be, so worked away with the annoying loud hum. Computer was mainly used for music production so I could drown out the noise, but when I'm coding it becomes a serious distraction. Recently I've discovered it shouldn't be that noisy, so wondering has anyone on here had the same cooler, with the same noise and managed to figure out what was causing it? Please find youtube video below where I recorded it.

Listen on YouTube

Cenevit    5
Posted (edited)

What's your cpu and motherboard?
Is the fan connected into cpu fan header with speed control enabled?

What the Hyper 212 model do you have?
I'm not sure but it seems to be the 212 Evo model and the stock fan has dark translucid blades.

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-air-coolers/hyper-212-evo/

Judging about the noise the fan seems to be running at high speed.

Please could you print the HwMonitor temperature with the fan speed?
I would like to see the processor temperature and the fan rpm under that noise.

Edited by Cenevit

seanleroy    0

I have an Asus z97-k MOtherboard with Intel Core i7 9740k Chip. Yes it's the Evo 212 model with stock fan. I've the fan connected to the CPU fan connection that's on the motherboard. I'm actually not sure if speed control is enabled. Will post image later of HWMontitor when I finish work.

Cenevit    5

No problem!

Well the 4790K is a hot chip.
The Hyper 212 Evo is able to handle this chip but under heavy load this chip runs a bit hot with the fan at high speed.

It can spin up 2000 rpm:

i20HIml.jpg

This is a noise test from the 212 Evo EU version 1600 rpm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSXL54j13zc

You can adjuste the fan speed manually to make the fan quieter.
However just beware about lowering too much the fan speed at higher temperatures.

In the bios UEFI the Q-Fan control looks like the below print:

diSzNSn.jpg

seanleroy    0

Wow that's incredibly quiet in the video:shock:. According to the BIOS tha fan is only running at over 500 rpm! I've attached some pics of the BIOS and of HWMonitor of when the computers was just started, but even then then the noise is so loud and I'm not even doing anything. Can you spot anything that looks out of the ordinary?

bios1.jpg

bios2.jpg

hwmonitor1.jpg

hwmonitor2.jpg

Cenevit    5

Yeah in the video it's silent like a ninja ha ha 

That's odd, I had this fan and it's virtually silent under 800 rpm.
The noise level is subjective though.

Well if the fan still loud on lowest settings I would recommend to replace to a quieter one.

seanleroy    0

You know I might just bite the bullet an buy a new CPU. I'm currently looking to upgrade my case, fans and PSU so  might as throw a CPU cooler in their as well. Was looking at a phantek p600s or be quiet! Silent Base 801 case which has awesome sound proofing, but not so good air flow. Noctua A12 fans look really good and seen the Noctua D15 cooler complements them well and is meant to be very quiet, so might go with that one. My PSU is 15 years old so that can't be good and worried at first that was causing the issue.

Cenevit    5

The 212 isn't a top tier cooler but for the price I can't complaint.
It served well for my needs.

Well that's a huge upgrade.
And a 15 years psu not bad!

seanleroy    0

Ya I've seen many videos where the 212 really works well. Not sure why mine has been a burden. I should probably of sent it back when I bought it for another one to rule out if this one was faulty.

The upgrades probably hover around the mid range components, so by shopping around you can save quite a bit. Upgrades are being sponsored by mastercard which is great lol:grin: