Sign in to follow this  
cuttergallery

Real Power 450 Damaged Two Video Cards

hyl768s    0

I'm pretty much sure the Real Power 450 is not the problem maker. I use it on my ATI 9700 pro OC to 9800 Pro with voltage mod without any issue. I'll suggest you go to your local store to pick up one powerfull VGA card without OC then test it. Usually artieffect on your screen means your video card memory can not handel the speed.

merovingian    0

Oops, posted 28A instead of 18A. Both cards together provide 100W on the 12V rail of consumption, add 70W for processor. Multiply times 1.4/12v=a little less than 20A for the 12v rail not including both hard drives, hmm. Looks like at least 21A required.

RaptorFury    0

hmmm well like hyl768s said when u get artifacts means its oc'ed too much , now my question is this , Psu r like starters for cars even tho they maybe new doesnt mean they be 100% working order thats why companies like Cooler master has a rma so they can get a defaulted item and try to determine what exactly went wrong . on 90% of the Psu's i have delt with ( and i been building comps for bout 8 yrs now so that makes it a lot ) before they start to go bad they will get ur components hot , undervolting them . and 450 watt Psu should be more then enough power to run a 6800 oc , an amd 3700 sound blaster live audigy and over clock the living crap out of them components , also you mentioned not to Oc ur cpu 1.5 + more volts on air , now having you said this i can assume you are water cooling correct ? and if so is the Pump running off the Psu ? bc if that is true most pumps draw a lot of power to run , so with a 450 watt Psu and running the bove system with water cooling running off it then it could be giving you some issues .

220VX    0
The CM website says 18A & the label on the unit says it.

There are two +12V rails (+12V1 & +12V2) on the Real Power 450. With continuous output total of 264W, which equals to 22A. Here is the spec from the product page:

f5251251359b16a59f242e7ef5e065f0.gif

merovingian    0

12v Rail:

8A for both video cards

6A for the processor unless it's overclocked and on high voltage.

1A for each HD.

16A 12V rail.

But consider efficiency.... 22A x 70% = 15.4A

15.4A available on the 12v rail minus 15A Power required required underfull load with one hard drive not under load.

Leaves 0.4A available on the 12v rail for all other components, basically prey that hard drive number 2 doesn't fire up or that any other components use the 12v rail for other processes while using HL2. Dude, you need more amps on the 12v rail for sli, period.

Furthermore, those cards take up 37A on the 5v Rail together and you only have 25A on the 5.5v rail not including efficiency loses. I'm suprised you can run anything at all. No wonder why your cards are damaged. Again, never skimp on the PSU I come back to this all the time. Your voltages are important and so is having enough power so spend the extra $40 for quality PSU to protect your investment, IMO.

I only have one video card and I have not OC'd anything on my system. The BFG models come from the factory slightly OC'd.

There appears to be some disagreement over whether or not my RP 450 is powerful enough for my system. Well, from my experience, it's not.

The new PC P&C unit works great.

I put the RP 450 into my other system: XP3200+, Shuttle AN35 Ultra NF2, ATI 9600XT 256, 160 GB Maxtor, NEC 1300 DVD-RW, 1GB Corsair & it appears to be working OK.