Sign in to follow this  
cuttergallery

Real Power 450 Damaged Two Video Cards

I am very disappointed w/ this unit. I believed after reading reviews & specs it had sufficient power for my system, but it does not. My AMD 64 3700+ CPU & BFG Nvidia 6800 video card were too much for it to handle.

My PC had screen artifacts & crashed often when playing 3D games & benchmark apps. My first two BFG 6800 cards actually had to be replaced as they were damaged by this underpowered product.

I replaced it w/ a competitor unit last week & now my third 6800 performs flawlessly. My 3DMark2003 score actually went up 1100 points! I believe I wasted my money & I will likely not buy another Cooler Master product.

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron

can we have a full system spec please?

Kevin Voong    0

Can you provide more information about the VGA cards? I believe that BFG sells a lot of overclocked VGA cards. Did you returned the 2 cards to BFG for RMA, if so did they inform you of the specific problems?

My previous Shuttle NF2/XP3200+ w/ 9800 Pro worked OK w/ the Real Power 450 for a few months. However, I was getting random total shutdowns every now & then.

The BFG 6800 OC is slightly overclocked. The 1st one worked OK for a a few weeks, the I started getting artifacts & random crashes (even when not playing games). I RMA'd it...The replacement worked OK until a long session of gaming completely knocked it out. (I tried both cards in second PC w/ same results)

BFG suggested it could be the PSU. The RP 450 has 12V rail w/ 18A peak power. I decided to go for a new PSU w/ 24A peak.

So far, so good.

220VX    0

The Real Power 450 actually has a total of 22A on +12V rail, not 18A. The rig should have worked fine, I think you may just have a defective unit.

merovingian    0
OK... Here's my system:

Aopen NF3 board

BFG 6800 OC video

two DVD drives

two HDD

Audigy 2

1 GB RAM

Leadtek TV tuner/PVR

XP Pro

Well, I ran a pair of BFG 6800GT OC cards@Ultra with a Venice 3000+@2943 w/1.5375v over the stock 1.4v (don't try this at home on air cooling), otherwise a similar setup, audigy 4, one raptor, one 400GB seagate but no tv tuner. Okay, I was using a Seasonic that never cracked 300W underload if I remember correctly. Let's consider 70% efficiency (correct me here if I'm not correct I just remember CM having exceedingly efficient PSU's at 550W, I don't know about 450W). Assuming 70% we get 317W of useable power. That probably means that you could be clipping the max on the 12v rails if in fact they are not dynamic rails that operate independantly, ( I don't do dynamic rails for stability reasons). I would measure the stats but you might be clipping that 12v rail. You need about 18A on the 12v rail assuming 70% efficiency.

6800Ultra Power (same artical shows a non OC'd 6800GT as well)

3800+ Power Consuption