Sign in to follow this  
ninuhadida

peltier gurus - need some opinions.

dread    0

here's what may be a dumb question from a noob (me)

why place the peltier directly on the cpu? why not use the peltier to say cool the water in the radiator that's connected to the cpu, gpu, and whatever. Then use a 2nd water cooling setup to cool the hot side of the peltier?

seems like a more manageable solution if you can afford two water cooling systems...

no flames please but please educate me!!!

ice_cubed    0
here's what may be a dumb question from a noob (me)

why place the peltier directly on the cpu? why not use the peltier to say cool the water in the radiator that's connected to the cpu, gpu, and whatever. Then use a 2nd water cooling setup to cool the hot side of the peltier?

seems like a more manageable solution if you can afford two water cooling systems...

You have already hit on one thing - your cost is about double when you add the second water cooling system. The second cooling loop should have more cooling capacity (bigger radiator) than the loop it is cooling. The heat you remove from the peltier, the more efficiently it will operate.

Another problem is space. Not many cases have space for two cooling loops.

Probably the biggest problem is that if you use a peltier to cool your coolant, your coolant may be cooler than ambient temperature. If that happens your whole cooling loop can sweat, dripping condensation all over the inside of your case.

dread    0

yes the 2nd cooling loop is an additional expense but not double by my calculations as you won't be needing a cpu or gpu water block. However, you'll need another 2 radiators to make it work.

I envision a setup similar to how they cool nuculear reactors lol.

And definitely, you'll be needing a lot of space. I don't think you'd experience quite as much problem with condensation though because the peltier is on the radiator. But it's all in the details of the build now isn't it.

Has anyone given this a try?