Sign in to follow this  
ninuhadida

peltier gurus - need some opinions.

ninuhadida    0

hey guys,

yesterday i got a 320w pelt (link below) which i'm gonna use my old crappy psu for it. now i need some suggestions/help about how to prevent condensation from forming when in use.... i'm gonna do a custom wc block for this project and the peltier is gonan be sandwiched something like this:

onda-pca-pic3.jpg

link to pelt: http://cgi.ebay.com/Awesome-320-Watt-Th ... dZViewItem

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron

Cool havnt seen a pelt in a while not too popular these days because theres no safty controls for it. i'd use thermal grease which doesnt conduct electricity similar to what you do with phase change. I'd ask here tho Extreme Promethia no better place to ask about water cooling or phase change.

ice_cubed    0
hey guys,

yesterday i got a 320w pelt (link below) which i'm gonna use my old crappy psu for it. now i need some suggestions/help about how to prevent condensation from forming when in use.... i'm gonna do a custom wc block for this project and the peltier is gonan be sandwiched something like this:

Your old crappy psu won't last very long. The ebay link says that pelt will draw up to 26 amps. For longer term use you will have to get a better power supply. I use a MEANWELL S-320-12 with a 226 watt peltier. If your peltier is underpowered, instead of cooling, you will end up heating.

There are lots of articles on condensation prevention. I found over 800 links with this search on google:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... prevention

This article is older but covers the basics:

http://www.octools.com/index.cgi?caller ... howto.html

You should be careful to coat everything with conformal coating that will be close to and down stream (if you get condensation it can drip onto other components) with conformal coating. I have ruined video and PCI cards.

My current machine has a pelt on the CPU, video card, and north bridge. The system overclocks really well, but I would not go this route again. It also sucks up lots of electricity and generates a lot of heat.

ninuhadida    0

wow many thanks ice_cubed :D

concerning the psu... on the sticker it says it can handle 25A on the 12v. now i don't really trust the thing since it's just a $40 psu. tho i already tested the thing out, primarily to see the cold and hot side. left the thing running for an hour and the psu seemend pretty cool (not like when it used to power my system, lol - and i don't have any vga sucking power like a 6800 :) )

now any idea where i can get that stuff that is mentioned in the second link ? :) thanks!

Wacft    0

peltier is so cool but so untamed, id love to try it out one day. :D ironically my electronics teacher had never heard of it.

ninuhadida    0
peltier is so cool but so untamed, id love to try it out one day. :D ironically my electronics teacher had never heard of it.

you're kidding right ???

i gotta switch off now :'( tmrw off to lan till monday morning :D

hyl768s    0

The cheapest way to avoid condensation, I use lots of thermal paste to fill up the CPU socket and try not to have any air gaps between CPU and CPU socket. Make sure the thermal past you are going to use is none conductive. Apply a lot of them until whenever you put the CPU into the socket; it will squeeze it out from the button of the socket. It’s a nasty job, but it works for me.

PS: :!: Once you do it, you will never be able to clean up the socket or the CPU.

ice_cubed    0
The cheapest way to avoid condensation, I use lots of thermal paste to fill up the CPU socket and try not to have any air gaps between CPU and CPU socket. Make sure the thermal past you are going to use is none conductive. Apply a lot of them until whenever you put the CPU into the socket; it will squeeze it out from the button of the socket. It’s a nasty job, but it works for me.

PS: :!: Once you do it, you will never be able to clean up the socket or the CPU.

I strongly advise against using thermal paste to fill the socket. Instead use dielectric grease. It is non-conductive and inexpensive. You can buy it in an automotive supply store. I also put a bead of silicone grease around the outside of the socket. I get silicone grease and conformal coating from an electronics store.

ice_cubed    0
wow many thanks ice_cubed :D

concerning the psu... on the sticker it says it can handle 25A on the 12v. now i don't really trust the thing since it's just a $40 psu. tho i already tested the thing out, primarily to see the cold and hot side. left the thing running for an hour and the psu seemend pretty cool (not like when it used to power my system, lol - and i don't have any vga sucking power like a 6800 :) )quote]

The power supply will be cool until you put a big enough load on it. Make sure that it has good ventilation when you put it in your case. I have a blowhole just to exaust the heat from my Meanwell power supply.