Sign in to follow this  
mysticnas

CM Will you HELP? New Hyper 48 Scratches 2 in a row!

mysticnas    0

i sense tension in this thread.... which should be there.

Raptor, no-one's having a go at you. You're perfectly within your right, and to all extents and purposes i'd probably go and do just what you say, and i was about to as well. But after posting this thread the majority of people suggested I that I RMA.

If you look at my initial post, you'll see that I was intending to just lap it and be done with it.

However, tampering with goods in that way voids the warrenty; and as far as I am aware if you told the manufacturer that you recieved it and it was damaged and still used it they (even though you fixed it) WILL they'll tell you they won't be held responsible for it if anything goes wrong, which may be highly unlikely, but there is always the chance that it might do.

If it does balls up you'd be stuck out of pocket and Cooler Master will tell you it was your own fault for using a faulty product.

I've just bought a new CPU, ok it's no £500/$900 P4EE, but it still cost me £130/$250 which to me is a lot of money. If my CPU gets too hot and goes arse over tit because it probably got too hot, I can't afford to replace it.

My intention here is not to wind people up, especially consumers, but to make a point and get my problem sorted by CM. Quality checks have obviously not been carried on these two HSF's. My concerns with Novatech is with their delivery procedure, they merely ship bulk buy HSFs and sell them. It's not their problem if it comes packaged and is damaged, twice. I have discussed this issue outside the forum and have had some interesting feedback. Everyone says that I shoud replace it. One person asked whether I took down the batch number (if there was one) of the 1st HSF i recieved. He said maybe one of the machines (lathe etc) might have been setup incorrectly for this particular batch, and just maybe Novatech were unlucky enough to have all of thiers coming from that same batch??

Who knows? Cooler Master, that's who!

Hopefully someone from CM will post up something positive today.

mysticnas    0

Raptor...

Seeing as you're the lapping expert on this forum and you've seen a few photos of the type of scratchs i have...

what paper would you reccomend i start with, if i decided to lap?

this is the lapping kit i've got:

http://www.tweakers.com.au/articles/cooling/lapping/page2.asp

it comes with these papers:

- 1/4 sheet of 400 grit sandpaper

- 1/4 sheet of 600 grit sandpaper

- 1/4 sheet of 800 grit sandpaper

- 1/4 sheet of 1000 grit sandpaper

- 1/4 sheet of 40 micron sandpaper (yellow)

- 1/4 sheet of 25 micron sandpaper (green)

- 1/4 sheet of 20 micron sandpaper (blue)

- 1/4 sheet of 15 micron sandpaper (peach)

- 1/4 sheet of 10 micron sandpaper (light green)

- 1 5"x6" rectangle of glass

and i'll be using AS5.

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron

i hope thats wet and dry sand papper.

mysticnas    0

well it's proper HSF Lapping kit and it does tell you to use it wet and with a bit of washing up liquid too for better results. So it should be wet paper.

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron

yea that'd be wet and drypaper then, its typically a darker colour, sorta slate. oh and do the lapping outside and dont breath in the dust.

mysticnas    0

so any suggestions what grade i should start on?

Hypothetically that is, as i'm still waiting for someone from CM to say something.

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron

with a cut that deep in it i'd use a quick coat of 180 on it, the go to the finer stuff. use lowest to highest numbers.

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron

if a scratch is deep enough yea.