Sign in to follow this  
ID

[MOD] Terminator Case!

ID    0

My right hand is numb and seriously cramping up after gripping the Dremel for so long. I'm really starting to wish I had a flex shaft. Etching with a standard Dremel is not the best on the hands. While I'm taking here, I figure I'll add a little update. So here we go...

First of all, I printed out a fresh template of the Terminator (this time I reversed the image horizontally). To make sure the template wouldn't curl up, I stuck the sheet of paper into the middle of Volume 21 of the Encyclopedia Britannica, 1968 Edition. Hey, the set may be almost 40 years old, but it still has its uses. However, information wise, it's relatively useless. In fact, if you look up pesticide, it strongly recommends the sucessful use of DDT. Yay!

Anyway, after a night of that, my template was much easier to set down. I carefully positioned the template face down on the outside of the plexi window, and secured it with painter's tape.

Picture16.jpg

I've learned that for best results, it's a good idea to etch on the back of the surface that you're displaying. That's why I reversed the template image. Etching from the back, it would appear that I was etching the Terminator backwards, but from the outside it appears as it should be. After whiping down the back of the plexi with some window cleaner, I was almost ready to go.

Picture17.jpg

One thing I learned while practicing my etching was that you can never have enough light. I know this sounds stupid, but I found that my work dramatically improved when I provided myself with ample lighting. Following intricate lines with your Dremel becomes increasingly easy this way. Fluorescent lighting seems to work best. Alternatively, you could just work outside!

Picture18.jpg

(I turned off the overhead lights in the picture, but those are fluorescent as well)

So far, I'm quite pleased with the results. I still have a good deal of work ahead of me, but I should be finished some time tomorrow. Here are a couple of pics showing my progress. Unfortunately it's very hard to see the etching work with the template still on the back, but I'll have something really sweet to show everyone hopefully sometime tomorrow!

Picture19.jpg

Here's a closeup:

Picture20.jpg

More updates to come shortly.

THERE IS NO FATE BUT WHAT WE MAKE FOR OURSELVES. :D

Osiris    0

Nice theme InfectiousDust! good luck on the contest.

Now where are you going to put (I'LL BE BACK or COME WITH ME IF YOU WANT TO LIVE!) :lol::wink:

ID    0

Well unfortunately I didn't take many progress shots involving etching, since I was desperately trying to meet the contest deadline. In fact, I had to drop the shading work on my image due to the time contraint. I might go back and fill in the shadows later, but to be honest, I think it looks fine the way it is now. I'll let you guys decide...

Note: These are the same pictures that I have sent with my contest entry.

Term1.jpg

Term4.jpg

Term2.jpg

Term3.jpg

I know the last part has nothing to do with etching, but I gotta show off the whole mod. I've painted my CD-RW and DVD-RW black to match the case.

You might notice that the etching doesn't cover the entire window. Why? Because I'm not done yet! For starters, the large empty area on the left should be just enough to cover a scene involving Ahnuld, a big gun, and a coffin... :wink:

More to come!

xstax    0

ID nice job! I forsee an erotica Terminator case in your future... Linda's boobies!

It's moments like that when the words of Eric Cartman come to mind "That movie has warped my fragile little mind." There's sooo many movies that seem to have done that. Terminator is one and on the worse end The Crying Game (didn't know about those types of people until that movie truely terrifying).

garfx32    0

Awesome! Inspiration inspiration inspiration...

Gotsta makes me a mods of my own. It will probably pale in comparison though :oops::?

Craig Tate    6

Good Job ID...

On your "glowing red eyes" issue, if your still looking for a way to pull this off, you could put a 2nd layer of acrylic, draw the eyes in the proper place on that, etch them on that 2nd layer, and side light that layer with the color of LED that you are wanting the eyes to be. That will make the eyes light up with the color LED's that you have firing into that 2nd layer.

Nice etch there bro.