Sign in to follow this  
cuttergallery

Real Power 450 Problem

I believe I need to replace my Real Power 450 w/ a better unit...

When I first got my PSU unit, I had a Shuttle Nforce 2 MB w/ an Athlon XP 3200+ & an ATI 9800 Pro. Games worked OK. However, I got random shutdowns occasionally. I thought it was a PSU problem, I emailed Coolermaster tech support, but they said if the unit was working there is no problem...

I recently upgraded my PC to an Aopen Nforce3 MB w/ an Athlon 64 3700+, & BFG 6800 OC video card. Initially I had no problems, but after a couple of weeks I could not play 3D games or run 3DMark programs. I would get artifacts, freezing, crashing. I RMA'd the video card back to BFG.

My replacement video card worked OK for a few days, then one day after a few hrs of games, my monitor started flickering. When I rebooted, I started getting video related error beep codes & the monitor would not turn on. I tried the vid card in another PC & got same error codes. I am RMAing this one back to BFG today.

I did some research I believe the problem is the 12V rail is not rubust enough for my power hungry system. I need a unit that will produce at least 26A. The CM 450 only does 18A. I think my video cards went bad from a too weak 12V rail.

Hybrid-Mods    0

You know the real power has 2 12 volt rails.. I Have one in my pentium 4 machine, let me give you some specs on it..

Intel Pentium 4 "C" 2.4Ghz @ 3.3-4Ghz

Abit IC7

Radeon 9800 pro

4 cold cathodes, 1 hard drive, 2 optical drives, 6 case fans.

The real power only ready my machine to suck in 230 watts max.. Nothing more.

The issue is not total watts used. The power gauge does not move past 1/3 across very often. It has to do w/ the 12V rails. They don't have the headroom that my system appears to need.