Sign in to follow this  
bigfatredhead

Side window on Centurion 5

1) I would like to cut a hole in the widnow to mount a fan to directly blow onto my video card. Is that panel glass or plactic.

2) Would this help? I think my vid card is over heating. I get small white dots in Direct3d. Reading other places they said that was a sign of the core over heating. I have a ATI Radeon x700 pro with a ATI Silencer by Arctic Cooling(used Arctic Silver paste of course) . The amout of white dots has gone done ..and takes a while to appear so the Silencer helped..but i think the fan directly blowing on it would help alot.

3) how thick should my layer of Arctic Silver be?

I know I know a lot of question in one post. But ty all for your help.

domoMKIV    0

what are your gpu temps?

1) tap on the window, im pretty sure its just acrylic.

2) your silencer might not be mounted correctly, causing an overheating problem.

when i apply thermal paste i make a nice thin layer on the die, enough to cover the whole thing but not just gooped on, a tiny drop will suffice.

I dont know how to check the gpu temps.

I put on a small amount of arctic silver, and spread it as evenly as i could. Im pretty anal so i dont know if it has to be super even all the way across or if can be more like cake frosting(even but you can see the marks for the tool used to spread it.

I installed ATITool and the idle temp is 44. I ran the max core utility and it got to 64. I know 44 is good CPU temp..no idea what this means for GPU.

SSNocc    0

I might do the same, my 6600gt tems are fine but i could use some more airflow. Any advice? i want to put a 120mm 152cfm fan on the window to make my vcard ruun cooler, ty.

domoMKIV    0

64C under load isnt all that bad. my 5200 Ultra OC'd to 365/760 runs at 50C idle and god only knows under load - about 65C i think.

it wont HURT if you want to add a fan to the sidepanel for it, id just suggest making sure to put a filter on it so that the video card doesnt collect 50lbs of dust.

domoMKIV    0

cheap = get 2 80/92/120mm fan grills (whatever size grill for whatever size fan you are using), place one on, place black pantyhose over the face of the grill and bolt it all onto that one side. do the same for the other side - voila....cheap fan filter + grill.

little bit more expensive = pick up a mesh filter off ebay for about $5 + shipping.

ice_cubed    0
1) I would like to cut a hole in the widnow to mount a fan to directly blow onto my video card. Is that panel glass or plactic.

Don't cut a hole in your in your case. Instead get a fan bracket and mount that to the inside or your case. I don't see anything like that on the CM site but there are offerings from other manufactures. I like FB123 from Zalman. You can mount multiple fans on it. I use a filter on the fans to pick up any dust that has made it into the case. It also means that the side panel is not wired to the case, which can be a pain.

i3