Sign in to follow this  
fish111

POwer meter (wattage) acting funny

fish111    0

I would say it doesnt work at all, but it does go up, just very little. When i power on my pc, the little needle on the meter goes to like 100 wats, and when im using both my optical drives, it only goes up to like maybe 120. I know this system is drawing at least 250 watts, has anyone else had this problem?

I am using the wattage meter that came with my CoolerMaster Realpower 450. (the one with the blue LED fan on bottom and Act PFC)

thx

fish111    0

Whether im idle on the desktop, looking at 5+ windows or playing HL2, the power meter never goes above 120 watts.

Specs:

3 120mm fans (+1 on psu)

Athlon 64 3700+

Radeon 9800 pro

2x512 corsair ddr400

Epox Nforce 3 ultra mobo.

160 gig Seagate SATA

In the mobos manual it says it will need at least a 250 watt psu to operate, so shouldn't my system be drawing at least that?

fish111    0

Yeah, its a stock speed.

I thought maybe my meter was broken, and my friend bought the same psu as i did, and his meter never goes over 100 watts. He has similar specs to mine, except he only has a 3200+.

Looks wicked on the front of my nemesis case, but just not functional i guess :(

pinoy87    0

Tomshardware reviewed the realpower 550 power supply a while back and if I remember correctly they did mention that the wattage meter was not that acurate. From what I remember they tested the full load of what the power supply could handle and they mentioned that the meter did not match the true wattage.

guy_lerner    0

Hi

You guys should read this article:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article28-page1.html

(Especially pages 3 and 4)

My reading is also ~100W, and that's very likely. You may think your PC should be drawing >200W where in reality that's unlikely. SPCR (the source of the article) also reviewed the Realpower 450, and found the HIC to "overrate" the actual power, so either way, you're probably drawing much less juice than you think.

Cheers,

gL