Sign in to follow this  
Gary

My defective Cross Flow Fan speed controller.

Gary    0

Suddenly after a few days of use my Cross Flow Fan stopped working.

So I checked it out and found that the fan worked fine plugged directly into the psu. So the speed controller must be to blame.

Well, the controller was competly dead.

I emailed Bryant about a replacement but He told me that Coolermaster doesn't have any of the controller in stock, and I would have to RMA the entire unit to the store I bought it from.

Well, I hate RMA's so I took a closer look and consulted with my dad with the unit.

I discovered a part of the PCB had suffered some type of overload that burned through a trace, that connected the PSU input ground plane to the rest of the unit's ground plane. The solution, solder a "jumper" wire to connect the 2 ground planes.

Pics of the defect and field repair:

speed%20controller%20003.JPG

The "Jumper Wire"

pcb%20001.JPG

The unit now works perfectly!

My dad suggested that Coolermaster should consider revising the design of the PCB, especially around the part that burned open. The power input is awfully close to the trace there, and you can see that that "channel" connecting the ground planes is very small for having so much power going through it.

That is impressive work Gary!!! I apologize i do no have the parts for you but i'm glad you got it to work with some modification. Please thank your dad for his important feedback. I will surely pass the information back to HQ.

Gary    0

Thanks.

I really enjoy tinkering with electronics and I know my dad does too.

And this was a nice learning experience. I picked up a few valuable tips from my dad, for any future problems.

Ratchet    0

Hey, I was sent a Crossflow review unit along with a Stacker case review unit from CoolerMaster (the review is here if you're interested). The first Crossflow they sent me was damaged during shipping but CM sent a replacement. They decided it wasn't worth the trouble to send back the broken unit, so it's just sitting there in my closet. The fan itself is broke (can probably easily be repaired), but you're welcome to the speed controller if you still need it.