Sign in to follow this  
PoiZen

Vortex Dream 7

PoiZen    0

Well, I upgraded my proc from a 266fsb 2600+, to a 400fsb 3200+ Barton, and was still running my old 2600+ cpu cooler, and was getting up to 61c in game. I decided to purchase the Vortex Dream 7 and finally got my hands on it, and so far I'm a little disapointed, as the temps are no better then with the cooler I replaced.

Last night as I lay in bed, and got to thinking, could there have been a protective material that I should have removed from over the pre-applied thermal compound? That would explain it.

If not then I guess I need to re-think my case design, even though I have four exhaust fans, all with cut outs, and two front intakes.

current temps

cpu - 57c

vga - 35c

system - 34.5c

HDD - 39.5c

system:

early Lian Li aluminum case

Enermax 420w Whisper PS

Gigabyte K7 Triton 7NXP MOB

400fsb 3200+ Barton with Vortex Dream7 cooler

1.5 gig Geil matched 400Mhz RAM

twin 36.7gig 10,000rpm WD Raptor SATA HD's on RAID0

one 120gig WD 7,200 HD IDE0

ATI x800 Pro VGA (the only addin card)

I think maybe those Raptor HD's are putting out too much freakin heat.

PoiZen    0

I worked from 4:30 till 9:30 rebuilding the rig from the ground up, except for remounting the CPU as the cooler came with a pre-applied compound I did not want to break the connection so to speak. Added another top exhaust, made sure all front fans were intake and rear and side were exhaust. I boot into BIOS to get a quick look at the CPU temp and its already at 48c just in the time it took to boot to BIOS. I sit and watch it for 5 mins and it tops off at 55c and idles between 53 and 55, now that is some BS, and eliminates the case from the mix

BroChaos    0

that "compound" you talk about is crap, and needs to be replaced with some arctic silver 3. it's not always about how many fans you have, but what your ambient room temp is. i'm still guessing that the compound is the biggest culprit.

Hybrid-Mods    0

The compound that comes usually isn't the best, Arctic Silver 3, is old. Maybe you should go with Arctic Silver 5, or if you want the exact same preformance for a cheaper price OCZ Ultra 5+ works excellent. I use it in all my test beds when i review every heatsink i get.

Current prices at Newegg

OCZ Ultra 5+ 8.00

Arctic Silver 5 7.49

Arctic Silver is actually cheaper at Newegg. They might just have a bigger supply i guess. But Both are Identically the same. And Please note this is OCZ's New Ultra 5+ Not there Ultra III that had a few sets messed up.

I own this product and it works excellent.

BroChaos    0

haha, yeah i meant arctic silver 5...it's been a while since i bought the stuff...i'm still used to saying 3.

PoiZen    0

Thanks, I will replace thecompound. I would have already however the advertisment was written in such a way as to suggest this compound was better. I have the Artic Silver on hand and will change it out imediatly.

As for ambient room temps. I'm in the basement of a house with central air and a sweaty fat man at the thermostat, so its very cool. LOL

Hybrid-Mods    0

if you really want to have some fun, you could do a ducting mod from a AC vent, to one of the intakes of your case. :twisted:

-Also-

Don't forget to allow the thermal compound to "break-in" before serioulsy looking at the temps. Over the Next week or so if you follor Arctic Silver's intructions, you will see a good drop in tempetures.

PoiZen    0

Thanks, Ive seen the breakin first hand so I will watch for that. I also have a case question which I will post in teh appropriate forum. The AC duct is tempting as I have a vent just over head, but my wife would not appreciate the added fixture. She already complains about my setup which allows me to use my rig from my lazyboy while watching the big screen. I was reading a trade pub for a different business, and was surprised to read about compressed air component coolers, output at some 100 degrees below the feed temp, lol. Now I just happen to have a substantial workshop with air throughout and I'm thinkin I could run a line to my case. hmmmmm ever hear of this?

Hybrid-Mods    0

I havent heard of compressed air coolers, I've heard of peilters and thermoeletric coolers. The compressed air could have a negative affect on the hardware.. not sure if it will. such as hard drives and what not.. I don't know if it will or not just a guess. :)

PoiZen    0

I decided to investigate further @ Thomas Register, The coolers are called "vortex coolers" and here is one description from a company

Compact Cabinet Coolers Convert Compressed Air Into 20 Degrees Fahrenheit Air To Cool & Purge Electronic Control Panels....

vor780.jpg

Or how about a 400 BTU Thermoelectric Solid State Air Conditioner

400btudc.jpg