Sign in to follow this  
RazorOye

tired of waiting on the black Stacker window panel?

RazorOye    0

Those of you tired of waiting on the windowed panel - what are you going to do? Continue to wait? Mod it yourself? Pay someone to mod it? Trade in the case for a different one (I would never do this - the case rocks)

But, I had some extra time on my hands this Memorial Day weekend staring at the non-windowed case... so I took the Dremel to it.

I finally took the plunge and cut into it - I was so scared as I have never modded before and I didn't want this to be the first.

But it was.

I went with a square window with a thin chrome molding (to match the accent front panels) with an etching of the Cobra symbol from GI Joe.

I also decided to measure it so that the drive cage is hidden and the PSU rails are hidden so when it comes to hiding wires, it'll be easier for me to work with and I really don't care for the way that you can see the drive cage.

Hey RazorOye, tired of waiting also, so here's mine, found some black allen key pan head bolts, still need a peice of plexi, is there anything better to use than plexi?

e0251f43.jpg

100_0472.jpg

RazorOye    0

pics to come by the end of the week - I am at my parents' house so that I can use my dad's shop. Sorry about that.

Oh, and cool - about the plexi - I really like using it. It's not terribly expensive, it's light, it's flexible, etching is a snap and not dangerous, and it cleans really easily.

At both of the home improvement stores I went to, there were three different grades of the plexi. GE calls their highest grade Lexan and Lucite calls their highest grade Tuf. But it's all plexi. I got the middle grade because it was less expensive (about half the price). Looking at the two, you can't really tell.

Your case meanwhile looks awesome! Those black bolts are really nice. I preferred the molding for two reasons. First, and more importantly, I had never cut a window before and I am not very steady. Clumsy would be a better way to describe it. The molding gave me some room for cosmetic errors. Which I made.

Also, I wanted the contrasting silver molding so that the window looks framed and the etching like a piece of art :)

It came out nice - I was very pleased.

How did you paint the inside of the case, the cage, and the tower runners? I'd be interested to know - particularly about the inside of the case. What paint - how long - was it difficult - etc...

And what's the window at the bottom of the front? Is that a custom job as well?

It's looks really, really good man - awesome job!

Hey RazorOye thanks for the compliments, the paint was easy, just regular black semi-gloss spray paint, with minimum prep, basically I just removed all removable parts and masked off the rest, cleaned the surface and applied several light coats, I know most people sand and prime but I decided against both, and I think it turned out real nice.

The two aluminum strips up the front I had anodized at a local shop for 60 bucks, as that was their minimum charge.

The thing in the front is a dual bay water rez, with zerex coolant and blue uv dye, for the purplish blue look.

Looking forward to checking out your pics, and hopefully some other modded stacker window pics!

RazorOye    0

Alright - I'm back home and have some pics.

And, again, if anyone has ideas as how to best light this etch, I am all ears. I'm also wondering how to go about lighting the case generally - I don't want to detract from the etch.

I know it has its rough spots - but please keep in mind it was my first attempt at cutting a window and etching.

Anyhow - here are the pictures:

Here is what I started out with - it's masked and ready to be cut into:

windowbefore.jpg

This is a shot of the tower on my desk next to the monitor and BFG 6800 about to go into the tower (I tried to angle it so that the etch could be seen a little bit):

table.jpg

Here is a similiar shot closer up (and yes, I know already - I have the top panel with the two little dents - came from the factory like that - several Stackers did):

tablecloseup.jpg

Here's a pic of the case window straight on, against a black pillow so that the etch stands out (even though the case panel doesn't stand out too well):

windowmain.jpg

Here's the inside of the window - you can see I was overly generous with the silicone:

insidewindow.jpg

And finally, here's a close up of one of the 45 degree corners that really made the frame look nice and flush:

corner.jpg