Sign in to follow this  
Clive

Power Supply Dilemma

Clive    0

I am modifying my computer and am looking at installing the coolermaster Aerogate II. I have two power leads that come from my power supply that i could use but these are both split with a Y connector between the two disc drives, and two hard drives. How do i get power to the Aerogate II? Do i just add another y splitter onto one of the connections that goes into one of my drives to split the power between three devices instead of two?

Many thanks

CJ

Grump    0

First, welcome to the forums.

Second, "Help" is about the worst topic title you can use on any forum. Try to be a little more descriptive.

Now, if all you have is 2 power connectors on your PSU, it's time to look for a new PSU. Cooler Master has an excellent selection. Adding too many splitters to your power leads is not a good idea. I don't know if your particular PSU can handle it because, like your topic title, you gave us no information to go on.

Clive    0

Thanks for your helpand the tips!

[edit by Jughead: comments about and link to competitor removed. please read the rules]

Would a larger power supply have more leads so i could connect more devices?

Thanks

CJ

Grump    0

The Real Power 450W has three 12v leads that have 7 standard connectors. There is an additional 12v. lead that has 2 SATA connectors. I don't think I have ever seen a PSU with only 2 connectors.

If you tried to describe your power supply by naming it or providing a link to it, you broke the rules and it wasn't necessary. Just tell us what the rated power is and what its leads contain.

Grump

Clive    0

it is a 400w unit (KOB AP4400XA).

There are two flat 4 pin cables that come out of the power supply, each split, one powering two hard drives, the other powers two disc drives and the FDD. There is also a square ended 4 pin cable hanging free but don't know what this is for. All the other wires that come out from the power supply unit go straight into the motherboard.

Sorry i don't know too much about power supplies so my description may not be that helpful.

Thanks

CJ