KneeGrinder

MasterFan Pro RGB not 100% compatible with Gigabyte RGB Fusion

KneeGrinder    0

Picked up Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 board, got it all set up, noticed that it had 2 RGB LED headers on the board itself. Coolermaster states they are RGB fusion compatible, so I picked up one of their MasterFan Pro 120mm RGBs and plugged it in.

While, it will adopt the same color the LEDs on the motherboard are, the fan LEDS do not dim or brighten when the motherboard does. They are on at full brightness or off.

This to me is not 100% compatible.

Anyone else seeing this issue?  I returned the fan after this and picked up a couple of non-lighted Corsairs.

KG

knud    124

Let me forward this to our colleagues from cooling team.

Conrad So    0

I also have a similar issue. I just got the MasterFan Pro 120 Air Flow and attached to Asus Strix B350-F motherboard. I had submitted a previous support ticket asking if the fan will be compatible with Asus Aura and was told they are compatible.

Today, I got the fan and plugged in the fan head and RGB header. I tried to control the fan using Asus Aura. However, the fan RGB is completely out of sync with the motherboard and my RGB ram. For example, when I set it as static purple, the ram and motherboard will be purple, but the fan goes from purple and gradually dims to red. On blue, it starts as blue and then over 4-5 seconds dims to a very low white/orange.

On the rainbow gradient setting, my RAM and  mobo will cycle through the colours (purple > blue > teal) but the fan itself will alternate between red and green. It also has a breathing effect (bright to dark).

So two problems here:

1) The fan colours do not correspond to the motherboard and my RGB ram, even though they are all synced with Asus Aura

2) The fan is stuck on breathing, I can't set it as static brightness

I should have spent the extra money and got the Corsair fans instead

knud    124

Hi, apologies for the later reply, but can you help me to verify these 2 points?

1. on the fan rgb signal wire, the Triangle thing is pointing to the 12V on the MB RGB header

2. on the back of the FAN, the toggle switch is set to RGB, and not R and B

I also have similar problems.  I purchased two Masterfan 140 AF RGB for my Giga Gaming 5 AX370.  I can't get a full range of colors in sync with the motherboard.  I can't get red or green.  Red looks pale pink and green looks pale blue.  There is do dimming control.  From what I've read about the Giga Aorus motherboards they are able to change the function of the pin headers in software but that doesn't help me.  

I invested in two Coolermaster masterfan 140 and the coolermaster 1 to 3 RGB splitter cable but it's a waste of money because it's clear there isn't full compatibility.  Solution is either to buy coolermaster RGB lighting controller or ditch the fans.  Since the fans are promoted on Giga website as compatible I don't see why I should be forced to buy a coolermaster lighting controller.

I'm supposed to do a video review of the fans on my youtube channel but need to find out what's going on before I go ahead with that.

Further testing reveals the incorrect/missing colors with the Masterfan RGB and Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 is due to the Coolermaster fans.  I tested the Gigabyte motherboard RGB with an Akasa RGB Fusion compatible LED Strip.  The LED strip shows a full range of colors controlled by the motherboard.  The Coolermaster Masterfan RGB fans connected to the same RGB port don't display pure red or green.  When I set the motherboard RGB color to red or green the masterfan shows pale pink or pale blue respectively.  This suggests some of the RGB component LEDS are not turning off correctly to produce the desired lighting color.

I am contacting Gigabyte to inform them of the issue and will produce a video demonstrating the problem.

List of solutions for Coolermaster:

1: Revise the design of the RGB so it's fully RGB Fusion compatible in which case Aorus motherboard users should be able to return their fans for the revised versions.

2: Remove RGB Fusion compatibility.

3: Supply Aorus motherboard users with coolermaster RGB controller.

Just to recap:  My Gigabyte Aorus X370 Gaming 5 is able to correctly drive an Akasa RGB LED strip.  All colors are present on the strip and in sync with the motherboard lighting.  The Akasa strip is RGB Fusion compatible.
Coolermaster Masterfan RGB is not displaying colors correctly with Gigabyte Aorus RGB Fusion.

Two pics below:  Gigabyte RGB fusion software set to pure RED... notice the rear 140mm coolermaster masterfan AF RGB looks purple.  The motherboard lighting is red and the Akasa LED strip is also set to red via the motherboard RGB port.  The Akasa LED and Coolermaster fans are connected to the same RGB port.  The coolermaster fans won't show red or green... the other RGB mix leds are lit resulting in pale colors.

In the second photo (green) the motherboard RGB is set to pure green and the akasa LED reflects this accurately.  The coolermaster masterfan RGB at the rear is producing blue light.

IMAG0970.jpg

IMG_5203.JPG

Edited by Raphael Baker