kartana

Keyboard sometimes not recognized after waking Win 10 from sleep

kartana    5

I recently switched from a CM XTi to a MasterKeys Pro S and since then 1 out of 20 or so times when I wake up Windows 10 from sleep, the Keyboard doesn't work and Windows displays "USB device not recognized. The LEDs are off but when I press a key they all light up in the color they would normally show. It looks like this: https://youtu.be/RXCC6uio3TE

I then have to dis- and reconnect the keyboard from USB to make it work. I already tried different USB ports. It's the same. It is also the only device where this is happening.

Edited by kartana

Maowhree    5

Please check the Event Viewer when this happens and list all relevant entries, might give some clue as to what is going on

Also, you might want to check if there are any extra energy saving features enabled in Windows or some ASUS/MSI/EVGA software or w/e.

If CoolerMaster software is loaded at startup or active in the background, you might consider to change that setting and see what happens when it is not.

Same thing if your situation is the other way around, with the software never active in the background.

Looks to me like some software is loaded which interferes with the loading of the keyboard driver.

Edited by Maowhree

kartana    5

There is nothing in the Event Viewer CM Software is not loaded by default. And as I said, it is the only Keyboard that is doing that. The Quick Fire XTi never had this problem.

Maowhree    5

Maybe that is the problem, you previously had another keyboard installed in your system.
I mean USB ports are a pain to work with, once you connect a device the proper driver is installed and 'locks' to that USB port.

I would suggest setting the CM Software to load by default, from my experience that might help, but I understand if you're not willing to make do with a software in the background which you don't need. You may try booting into safe mode and sending it to sleep a couple of times, to see if the error shows up again.

If it doesn't, it's probably due to a third party software or some windows settings which are not correctly configured.

Otherwise, you may consider checking this link, points 1 and 4, and clean the list of installed drivers; that should solve it imo.

Please make sure that the keyboard is not connected to a hub and is connected to the computer via a cable in good shape, which supplies the adequate voltage (about 4.95v).

Please tell me if you wish that a CM representative answers your post so that I don't insist further.

I have to say that I experience a similar problem with my x360 controller wireless receiver, but that is a different story.

Edited by Maowhree

kartana    5

I just removed what seemed like old unused input devices (and drivers). I'll see how it goes and will report back.

Edited by kartana

kartana    5

It is still happening but I found something in the EventLog that might be related. A LiveKernelEvent that has a dump file attached that looks like this:

\\?\C:\WINDOWS\LiveKernelReports\USBHUB3\USBHUB3-20170421-1809.dmp

I just don't know how to open it. BlueScreenView and WhoCrashed don't show the dmp file for some reason and I don't know how to open them.

Edited by kartana

Maowhree    5

No idea..

You're telling me that the issue only manifests with your new keyboard (which, by the way, is the one I use on a daily basis, but I don't put my computer to sleep). If that is the case I think we can exclude anything related to Windows BIOS settings, essential drivers and power management features.
The ONLY thing I can think of is something related to the USB ports or, alternatively, the keyboard itself (firmware, driver and software).

We made progress by getting a dump file; unfortunately, you can't seem to open it (though you're using the correct programs to do it).

You may try opening it with notepad and see what you get, if you can even view it at all.

That said, I am afraid I have little experience with dump files, maybe somebody with more experience might help you more in this regard.

Edited by Maowhree

kartana    5

I could open it now. This error happens when I wake up the PC from standby and the keyboard does no longer get recognized. 

Crash dump file:        C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\USBHUB3-20170508-0826.dmp
Date/time:              8 May 2017 08:26:57
Uptime:                 1 day, 16:59:24
Machine:                CHRIS-PC
Bug check name:         BUGCODE_USB3_DRIVER
Bug check code:         0x144
Bug check parm 1:       0x3003
Bug check parm 2:       0xFFFF8300E8814838
Bug check parm 3:       0x40010000
Bug check parm 4:       0x0
Probably caused by:     usbhub3.sys
Driver description:     USB3 HUB Driver
Driver product:         Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Driver company:         Microsoft Corporation
OS build:               
Architecture:           x64 (64 bit)
CPU count:              4
Page size:              4096

Bug check description: 
This code is used for all USB3 bug checks. Parameter 1 specifies the type of the USB3 bug check, and the meanings of the other parameters are dependent on Parameter 1.

Comments:

The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.