• Announcements

• xtian1

Win a trip to Computex 2017   03/21/2017

Get a chance to be with us and experience one of the biggest trade shows in the Industry in Taiwan with us! Check the announcements section for details on how to enter the contest.
Daniel Adams

Hyper 212 LED Turbo not fitting correctly on AM4 board

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

Recently I received all the components for my Ryzen 7 upgrade. One of the items is a Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo which according to the website, packaging and instructions is fully compatible with AM4. Well, I'm afraid to say that is just not the case. I've been spending hours today trying to make this cooler fit on my ASUS board to no avail. It seems the retention clip provided with the kit will in absolutely no way clip close on the motherboard's bracket unless I bend it in such way that it defeats the purpose or worse still, damage the CPU or motherboard.

I've also Google'd like crazy with no results. Unfortunately the platform and cooler's too new for there be any helpful tips out on the web.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

The motherboard in question:  ASUS Prime X370-Pro

Edited by Daniel Adams

Hi Daniel,

We are sad to hear you are having difficulties with your installation. Could you provide us with clear and detailed pictures to get a better understanding of the problem itself and that way involve the business unit for assistance on these new models.

Regards,

Xtian1

I also bought this cooler for a black and red AM3+ build i'm doing and was hoping to use this cooler along with the case and PSU for a Ryzen 5 build later on this year.  However upon receiving the cooler i noticed it only comes with bracket for the plastic AMD attachments on the motherboard this puts the cooler with the fans pointing up and has no option to rotate the cooler 90 degrees for sideways mounting.  I did a quick internet search and noticed Noctua do a really extensive kit for the AM4 socket that allows their coolers to be rotated 90 degrees. Are their any plans for cooler Master to provide the same for their customers especially since the Hyper 212 LED Turbo has the logo written on the heat sink for a east-west rotation????  Also will future coolers come with a back Plate style attachment for AM4 like the AM3+ and Intel socket does at the moment or will future coolers rely on the plastic tabs on the motherboard???

Me and my friend faced the same issue when building on the am4 asus b350 prime board with the cooler master hyper 212 led turbo. The bracket is too tight and it doesn't fit. We were scared we might have damaged the cpu when trying to lock the cooler in place. We loosened the plastic brackets on the motherboard and clipped the retention clip. Then screwed the plastic bracket in tight to a  level we were comfortable with. This was ofcourse not the default height the plastic brackets on the motherboard were at. Scary stuff. Luckily no damage was done with our earlier shenanigans and the board posted.

This shouldn't be happening to us especially with a reliable brand like cooler master. The retention clip was obviously a few mm shorter. Luckily we opted out of using brute force midway after we found this thread and learnt we weren't the only ones facing the issue. 

Edited by drgoku