Sign in to follow this  
/temp

Which PSU(s) for an 8xSATA system?

/temp    0

Hi

I'm building a dual CPU system in the Stacker case. The initial setup will feature 5 SATA disks (+dvd) and (much) later it will be expanded to 8 SATA disks maximum. What can I do to supply power for all those disks?

:!: The Coolermaster RealPower PSUs only feature three SATA power connectors :!:

Can I split them? Can I split one molex to several SATA? A dual PSU solution is acceptable, too - and probable (despite the minor complications incl. dummy load, extra wires etc).

My very favourite color for the PSU led would be black. Matte. :D

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron

well on this forum i can only point you in the direction of real power 450 and 550 you can get a dongle which turns one molex into 2 sata power my mobo came with them and you can pick them up from most places (now surely a dongle isnt againsth re rules?)

xstax    0

My SATA drives all have sata power connectors and molex connectors. Currently I have on a raid using a four inline SATA power cable that connects to a single Molex connector.

Here's a link to something like what I'm using.

text

[Mod] Editted for size of link.

merovingian    0

Post the system and which HD's you plan to use, 500GB drives use alot more power than 300GB drives. If you are running a stacker or any other dual PSU case, I would get two 450W PSU's in most cases (no pun intended). I'd just keep my eye on that 12v rail. :wink:

rijko    0

hi,

i think more info on your setup is needed like Merovingian said.

I am running an old Compaq mobo with an 833 Mhz CPU, oldfashioned VGA card, and 10 large (300 GB) HDDs in 3 drivecages '4-in-3' with the large fans on them. Some extra harddisk coolers, 80 mm topcooler, and the big outlet fan. A SCSI card for my DLT drive and 2 x 256 MB memory.

All on a ( 1 ! ) now maxed out 350 W PSU.

A RealPower 450 or 550 should accomodate all your power hunger but you could calculate your power need very nicely here : http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/Power_Supply_Calculator.php?cmd=INTEL

Good luck !

merovingian    0

P.S. that spec website is not accurate for today's systems as it lack the abliliy to segrigate the v rails and determine efficiency. I do however agree that 450W might be enough and upgrading later to a second might be fine.

The french have energy like you would not believe so efficency is not an issue, I live in cally, and a maxed out PSU just doesn't cut it. :D

/temp    0

Ok, some specs for this video workstation:

- Tyan K8WE motherboard, 2x 1.8GHz Opteron 265 (dual core), 2-4GB ddr400

- Sata raid controller

- 2x10kRPM sata hdd (system+scratch disk), 3x7kRPM 300GB sata hdd (MaxlineIII's in raid5)

- dvd burner

- M-Audio/Edirol firewire audio hardware, bus powered

- Some high res 3D capable graphics card, possibly some Nvidia Geforce 6800 or the like (but not those noisy ultras and no SLI)

Possible later (1-2 years from now) upgrades: cpu/ram and most likely more storage space (1-3 drives). The raid controller provides some flexibility (online expansion, configuration on disk...)

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron

all the 6800 stock coolers are noisey the leadtek is fairly quiet but it mahoosive.

we can only reccomend you one of CM's power supplies and if it was me id get SCSI.

rijko    0

are you sure the sata controller allows 'online expansion' as in adding a disk and -without data loss- adding it to the array, and expand your existing drive ?

Usually they allow adding a disk and configuring it as extra diskspace, not to be confused with expanding the existing disk space.

Even if it does allow to do so i would not dare using this option without a perfect backup ! ( i use a DLT IV 70/140 GB drive for this and backup takes days... anyone have a tape library for sale ? haha )

Usually sata raid controllers support 4 disks maximum. (they get *real* expensive with more sata ports)

If you've got a 4-drive sata controller i would max it out beforehand if you can afford an extra disk.... that will save you a lot of work later on, and it might save you data loss and troubles in the future.....

What sata controller(s) do you use ? Your first post said 8xsata - is that on 1 controller ?

BTW, i love those maxtor disks.. i run 10 of those without any failure yet after 3 years of continual operation.