• Announcements

• xtian1

Win a trip to Computex 2017   03/21/2017

Get a chance to be with us and experience one of the biggest trade shows in the Industry in Taiwan with us! Check the announcements section for details on how to enter the contest.
    • CM Nick

AM4 Socket Support   04/24/2017

Due to technical issues, the topic on "AM4 Socket Support" has disappeared. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and we are trying our best to have this topic back up as soon as possible.   As we read in the topic, there is a lot of discussion going on when the new brackets will be arriving. We can tell you now that the brackets will be ready for pre-order on our CM Store EU tomorrow and will be ready for shipment around the 16th of May.   You can continue the discussion in this newly created topic:     
Jeffrey Stephenson

Clean Slate - Final Photos

23 posts in this topic

Hi. My name is Jeffrey Stephenson. I have been a member of these forums since 2004. I design and build custom computers as a hobby in my retirement. This my 7th Cooler Master mod contest placing a first (2009) and a third (2011).

This build forgoes the single monolithic design of a modern computer case. Instead, each major air-cooled PC component has its own module. The birdseye maple plinth encloses the motherboard, storage drive and associated wiring. The slate gray covers are ventilated with architectural stainless steel mesh. The PC components are all small form factor mid-range gaming parts.

Final photos:

174.jpg

175.jpg

176.jpg

177.jpg

178.jpg

179.jpg

180.jpg

181.jpg

182.jpg

http://www.zdnet.com/pictures/clean-slate-a-museum-quality-custom-case-design-from-jeffrey-stephenson/

http://boingboing.net/2016/12/20/clean-slate-a-modular-pc-that.html

http://funtenna.funshop.co.kr/article/7986/튜닝-PC도-이럴-수-있다--

That is one sleek, and excellent looking PC you have there.  Job well done, sir.

Nice and tidy, I like the Fully wired power supply, well done 

Thanks VALKYRIE. The wired version of this SFX power supply takes up less total space than the modular version.

I've been doing testing with a powerful but noisy Delta CPU cooling fan. I was going to replace the fan anyway because it isn't PWM. Just received this CM Blade Master 92. Hopefully this is good enough for the contest requirement.

301.jpg

Project Worklog:
003.jpg
Taped together a dozen or so 3 x 5 index cards so that they form around the shapes. 

005.jpg
Transferred the template to 1/8" 7-ply birch plywood. 

007.jpg
Motherboard mounted to the underside of the plywood with components sticking up through the top.

009.jpg

011.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg
Traced out I/O plate port openings for the graphics card.

023.jpg

025.jpg

Cut out port openings using a drill and jewelers files.

026.jpg

027.jpg

Stainless steel architectural mesh.

028.jpg

029.jpg
Trimmed the case top to size and prepared it for veneering.

030.jpg
Motherboard mounting stud with nylon spacer.

031.jpg
Screwhead of stud on reverse is leveled with wood filler.

033.jpg
Prepare the clamping boards.

034.jpg
Two pieces of veneer are taped together using special veneering tape. This tape is water activated. When it drys the tape shrinks drawing the two veneer edges together tightly. 

035.jpg
Clamping or as I call it "bringing the pain".

036.jpg
Trimmed out the "holes" in the veneer and added a back to the I/O cover.

037.jpg

038.jpg

039.jpg
Added several courses of wood criss-crossing the ends like Lincoln Logs (ask your grandfather). Doing this creates the sides of the case.

040.jpg
The last course is a half course creating a ledge all around the perimeter. The bottom panel of the case will sit down into this.

041.jpg
Fit the motherboard to check clearances. The CPU cooler support bracket is temporarily taped into place. The bracket is the lowest point so the sides had to be built up enough to clear it. I want to keep this part of the case as slim as possible.

043.jpg

044.jpg

045.jpg