fraz

2.5" SSD's

fraz    0

Hi,

A query about how to attach a 2.5" SSD into a Coolermaster case?

OK the 3.5" HD drives go straight into the side of the computer - There is also room and I've read this in the instructions for HAF X that one or two 2.5" SSD's can also fit into the side of the case in the same way.

I'm not building a system right now but will at some point be adding a 2.5" SSD - Do they go straight in like the 3.5" drives do or is another EXTRA accessory needed?

I've built 2 systems now but no 2.5" drives used yet so there is just some uncertainty.

I wouldn't want to buy say a Western Digital or Kingston  2.5" to only realise that a "caddy" is needed to include it in the case - Just some general natter about it! -

I am going through a most frustrating experience with a 2.5in SSD.   I fitted it to a standard 3.5in caddy (a few £ from ebay) but it doesn't just 'slide in' to my Silencio case as it requires a further plastic carrier to fit any of the 5 empty bays in the case.  But my case was not supplied with spare plastic carriers, which are also nowhere to be found on the parts catalogue.    Grrr!

CM Michiel    13
On 18-1-2017 at 1:24 PM, fraz said:

Hi,

A query about how to attach a 2.5" SSD into a Coolermaster case?

OK the 3.5" HD drives go straight into the side of the computer - There is also room and I've read this in the instructions for HAF X that one or two 2.5" SSD's can also fit into the side of the case in the same way.

I'm not building a system right now but will at some point be adding a 2.5" SSD - Do they go straight in like the 3.5" drives do or is another EXTRA accessory needed?

I've built 2 systems now but no 2.5" drives used yet so there is just some uncertainty.

I wouldn't want to buy say a Western Digital or Kingston  2.5" to only realise that a "caddy" is needed to include it in the case - Just some general natter about it! -

Hi Fraz,

Standard you can install two 2,5 SSD's in the front HAF X hotswap bracket (see image below). :)

On our CM store we also have the SSD bracket available what you can use to install SSD's in the case:

EU CM store:

http://www.cmstore.eu/spare-parts/case/others/ssd-bracket-free-shipping/ 

US CM store: 

http://www.cmstore-usa.com/3-5-to-2-5-ssd-bracket-oem/ 

With those SSD brackets you can install 2,5 SSD onto the 3,5 HDD brackets, so you can install the SSD in the HDD cage ;) 

HAF X install 2,5 SSD.png

CM Michiel    13
21 hours ago, Walter Patterson said:

I am going through a most frustrating experience with a 2.5in SSD.   I fitted it to a standard 3.5in caddy (a few £ from ebay) but it doesn't just 'slide in' to my Silencio case as it requires a further plastic carrier to fit any of the 5 empty bays in the case.  But my case was not supplied with spare plastic carriers, which are also nowhere to be found on the parts catalogue.    Grrr!

Hi Walter,

Which Silencio case do you have? 

You might be looking for the HDD rails, these are available on our CM store: 

CM store EU:

http://www.cmstore.eu/spare-parts/hdd-rails-new-free-shipping/ 

CM Store US:

http://www.cmstore-usa.com/drive-rails/ 

Let me know when you have any other question ;) 

• Upvote 1

fraz    0

Hi CM Michiel,

Thanks for the useful pointer for putting 2.5" SSD in front hot swappable drive bays with an extra accessory I will try to remember this.  There is another question - on the side of the case it looks like there are two slots for 2.5" drives because they are smaller than the other slots for the 3.5" drives - This is correct isn't it?

So a SSD can go in the front [hot swap] with extra accessory to convert 3.5" > 2.5" or it can can go in the side of the case in 2.5" slot without accessory but the side panel needs to be removed to do this - I think I've got it - Is this all correct? - It's good to get verification as I'm not attempting this yet

CM Michiel    13

Hi Fraz,

In the front hot swappable drive bays, you can install 2,5 SSD's without the extra accessory (SSD bracket).

If you want to install 2,5 SSD in the side of the case, in the HDD cage, then you have to use the SSD bracket ;) 

You can mount the SSD bracket in a 3,5 HDD bracket :) 

Let me know when you have any other question.