Zax

Is the Masterkeys lighting software still being developed

Zax    1

I also have a Corsair Strafe RGB. The keyboard itself is nowhere near as nice as the MasterKeys Pro S - but the lighting software is miles ahead. I'm quite underwhelmed with how limited the MasterKeys software is.

In particular, the not being able to assign more than one lighting style to a key and the way that the colours snap back without being able to introduce a gradual fade.

I noticed it said version 0.5 so that gives me hope, but then again the keyboards have been out for more than a year?

• Upvote 1

xtian1    14

I agree with you, our software has room for improvement. I will pass along your concern as a Cooler Master customer to the Peripheral Business Unit. Thanks for utilizing our products and your feedback. 

• Downvote 1

Maowhree    5

Just received word from the tech support, here's what they said (my inquiry included):

Hi, I bought this keyboard partly because it was heavily marketed as a keyboard which offered many ways to customize the lighting effects and patterns etc through software (as the makerhub suggests). As of now, though, there is no way to properly configure such 'profiles' in the software and can only run user programmed .exe files. The SDK has been released but it is pretty much unusable and the documentation is broken (not a single word in english inside). Is the software ever going to be updated? Almost one year has passed since release and there has been NO WORD on this matter whatsoever and generally a shameful lack of communication / post-purchase support on your part.

Dear Maurizio, Thank you for your inquiry. We are sorry to hear that you are not so satisfied with keyboard. Unfortunately are there no plans at the moment to release a software update for this. We however will pass your feedback to our keyboard product manager. On our MakerHub wwebsite, there is all the information available for the SDK. http://makerhub.coolermaster.com/custom-lighting/ If you have any other question please let us know. Kind regards, Cooler Master support

I leave any kind of consideration to you,

Have a good day! :)

• Upvote 1

Bambucha    7

I think that the software with the current state is crazy bad. ALL of the lightning effects that feature reactive lighting look horrible when you have a static color enabled (white when not pressed -> orange when pressed). Even breathing effect looks really bad, since it doesnt calculate the colors correctly... e.g. if you put red@255 and blue@150, it will go from black to purple to red to black?? it should be a smooth transition from black to purple, i dont know why red is there.

Anyway im dissapointed and have been posting on these forums for quite some time, with no proper response. I am a programmer and all of these things should be extremly easy to fix. You just have to LERP the colors, not substract the values. 

If anyone reads this... do not buy a coolermaster peripheral until they fix this. You will be dissapointed, like me and many others.

oh and i forgot to mention that if you want to have custom lightning effects, you have to have a window open 24/7 that DOES NOT MINIMIZE TRAY ?!?!

• Upvote 1

Maowhree    5

@Bambucha, if you want the keyboard to display the same effect every time you turn on your pc please put the file in a specific position on your drive, then create a shortcut and place it under C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Startup\ (that is if you're using Windows 10, but I imagine it would be quite similar in the previous versions of the OS). When you're done, right click on the shortcut. Properties. 'Start minimized to system tray'. There are other ways to do it, but this one's the easiest.

I also set up two simple batch files and scheduled tasks to send the keyboard to sleep every 30' so that the keys does not remain lit when I leave the computer on overnight (might provide a guide if anyone is interested).

Using the .exe files may be convenient for such use case scenarios, but still, I would appreciate having a damn functioning software. Hope it helped.

• Upvote 1

Chris Hill    0
On 1/24/2017 at 11:59 AM, Bambucha said:

I think that the software with the current state is crazy bad. ALL of the lightning effects that feature reactive lighting look horrible when you have a static color enabled (white when not pressed -> orange when pressed). Even breathing effect looks really bad, since it doesnt calculate the colors correctly... e.g. if you put red@255 and blue@150, it will go from black to purple to red to black?? it should be a smooth transition from black to purple, i dont know why red is there.

Anyway im dissapointed and have been posting on these forums for quite some time, with no proper response. I am a programmer and all of these things should be extremly easy to fix. You just have to LERP the colors, not substract the values. 

If anyone reads this... do not buy a coolermaster peripheral until they fix this. You will be dissapointed, like me and many others.

oh and i forgot to mention that if you want to have custom lightning effects, you have to have a window open 24/7 that DOES NOT MINIMIZE TRAY ?!?!

I'm returning my GORGEOUS Masterkeys Pro L tomorrow (after less than 24 hours use) because the software is so weak and the support team seems to have NO interest in fixing it or developing it further.

First and last experience with Cooler Master's keyboards... and possibly all peripherals?