Sign in to follow this  
mjswooosh

Cavalier 4(CAV-T04)"Propietary"PS Upgrade Options?

mjswooosh    0

Hi all, I'm looking at buying a few of these cases for business and/or personal use...I love the overall quality! However, I'm a tad concerned w/ the "proprietary" nature of the power supply for (what should be) obvious reasons: 1) long-term use; 2) somewhat limited power for SMP/SLI rigs; 3) potential noise/heat issues. I'm sure the power supply is pretty good if it's actually a "Cooler Master" PS, but I'd still like to know that I can easily replace it if it fails and/or upgrade it with a better/beefier PS should I decide to in the near future. Does anyone here know what, if any, after-market power supplies will fit this case? Does Cooler Master sell bigger/better power supplies that will fit this case? If not, are there plans for one in the future? Or is it more likely the case itself will undergo a re-design? (In which case, I'll probably hold off on buying it 'til then...). It'd be a shame if there aren't other power supply options available for this case since I absolutely love it in every other way. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me!

zerospace    0

I think you really need a CM employee to address your question about CM making bigger/better PSUs for this case in the future.. If I had to guess, I'd say they probably won't. But that's just a guess.

As far as being able to install/upgrade the PSU... well, it might be possible to modify the case to fit a standard PSU, but having never worked with this case, I can't say anything for certain. I had worked with another manufacturer's case that included a proprietary PSU & it would have been quite a challenge to modify that case to fit a standard PSU.

I hate to sound so negative, but I think if you really want upgrade room or want a better PSU from the beginning, you might consider one of the other cavalier-series cases that doesn't come with a proprietary PSU.

Anyway.. those are just my thoughts - for whatever they're worth :)

mjswooosh    0

Thanks for the input. I was afraid this would probably be the case (no pun intended...). :(

Anyway, I ended up going with the [competitors] case instead...it's roughly the same level of quality as the Cav-04, but allows for a standard power supply as well as a full ATX board. I do love CoolerMaster cases and have had one of the older ATC-620C HTPC cases in a system I built for my parents for over a year, but this time they just didn't really have what I was looking for. Oh well, perhaps next time.

[modedit]