Sign in to follow this  
swinster

Xdream III for AMD (ACC-L81) poor noise levels.

swinster    0

Hi,

If anyone is thinking of buying the Xdream III for it's wonderful low noise levels of less than 20db and so near silent running - DON'T.

I have just bought five of these for this very reason to stick on some old but still well used PC's. I was disgusted to find that the supposed 20db fan was easily nosier than my 21db Panaflo and my 24db Areocool fan's. In fact, I could hear the whirring in the next room - not what I would call whisper quiet. In fact, I had to switch the Coolermaster fan with another 80mm Panaflo to get the required noise levels to an acceptable level. Surprisingly this actually improved cooling as well with lower CPU temperatures however, as the Panaflo does not have a tacho, I have lost my fan speed read out.

I am appalled that a company like Coolermaster can advertise a product in a way that suggest it is something that it clearly is not – a near silent HSF.

If you want low noise cooling – look elsewhere.

swinster    0

I personally think that they simply aren't as quiet as they say they are. The fans seem fine and all works correctly, just the noise in in excess of what I had expected and how they are marketed. It's strange that the XDream III for the Intel's are rated at a higher noise level the AMD's.

I also realise that sound testing dosn't seem to fall into any specific regime. In know that when I was in university the standard that we used was 1 meter away from the object being tested, both in a anechoic chamber and ordinary environment. I do not have access to such test equipment any more and off the shelf devices rarely go below 30db, but the human ear although not an accurate measure is very useful at distinguishing between different devices and an audible difference can clearly be heard. Three people have confirmed the difference.

Tiny Tim518    0

just a suggestion but you might want to change your approach

troubleshoot your installation and check for any obstructions that maybe causeing the problems

refer to the installation guide for assistence

check any warranty that you may have

contact a Cooler Master representative

stop encourageing the purchase of CM's Competitor's product

and have a nice day :D

swinster    0

I'm not even talking about the installation so there is nothing to trouble shoot. Simply plugging the HSF in will give the undesirable result. The fact that is is actually installed on the CPU is neither here nor there and doesn’t not make the fan nosier of quieter. I would go one-step further an say that I actively dismantled the Coolermaster fan from the heatsink and ran them on their own so there was absolutely no obstruction - guess what - far too noisy.

I am quite a fan a Coolermaster (no pun intended) and as system builder, I have used them since the day of the K6. I have built hundreds of PC's so should know what I'm doing. I no not think there is anything wrong with this HSF, it just doesn't do what is says it does which to my mind is blatant false advertising.

In this case I don't think I can shout loudly enough about this particular feature of this product.

IF YOU WANT A QUIET, NEAR SILENT HEASTSINK FAN COMBO - DON'T BUY THIS PRODUCT!

I would like Coolermaster to respond but so far, they have neglected to do so.