Sign in to follow this  
Kahobi

The 4in3 and HD cooling

Kahobi    0

How much clearance between drives do you have in the 4in3 moduel? Idealy I would like to squeeze a heat sync in there for 4 drives.

On to the next question, it dawned on me yesterday, Fast hard drives generate heat...Western Digitals 72gig Raptor 10k RPM SATA drive probably generates a mother load of heat. Am I begging for trouble by even thinking of putting 4 of them into a 4in3 moduel?

Guest dogin   
Guest dogin

Not enough clearance. I have two raptors and that is all I would recommend per 4 to 3 cage. There are alternatives such as 3.5" adapters per individual bays, but you need other case cooling to cool them. The cages with the 120mm fans really are the best solution.

That is only one opinion and others may differ?

Kahobi    0

I'm thinking of keeping it to two in a 4in3. Due to plans I have for every single other bay in the stacker I'm thinking of making a sort of cradle/mount to either go on the roof of the case or the floor of it, placing the drive verticle with the power and data ports facing the rear (where else). Putting a fan on it as well. maby heat sync too if I can design it to be. Lots of aluminum available around hear and one of my regulars at work owns an alluminum welding shop/shipyard. Any thoughts on that?