Sign in to follow this  
talonis

XFX 6600GT AGP and Cool Viva

talonis    0

I installed the Cool Viva on my XFX 6600GT. My results are a bit concerning. The video card was reporting back 53 degrees idle and 77 degrees under load. When I installed the Cool Viva, it took a bit of doing because of the angle they set the GPU, but the cooler is firmly attached with the fan on. I now get 68 degrees idle and 110 under load. Has anyone else had similar experiences? And is 110 really enough to really be worried about? From what the Forceware drivers indicate the thermal warning will get triggered at 145 degrees.

-S

Mr. Miyagi    2

What drivers are you using? Also what thermal compoud did you use? If you used Arctic Silver 5, you should wait about 3 days for the compound to "cure". Then you will recieve better temps. Did you make sure the CoolViva was installed correctly and sits on the core? You might want to try to reinstall it just incase.

Scumbag    0
What drivers are you using? Also what thermal compoud did you use? If you used Arctic Silver 5, you should wait about 3 days for the compound to "cure". Then you will recieve better temps. Did you make sure the CoolViva was installed correctly and sits on the core? You might want to try to reinstall it just incase.

Any advice for installing a Cool Viva (VHC-L61) on a XFX 6800GT - I intend to use CM premium thermal compound kit.

Mr. Miyagi    2

Just follow the directions and you should be fine. If you have any questions, feel free to post them here.

talonis    0

I'm using drivers 71.84 on Win XP. I did in fact use AS 5 on the core, and then I used a generic silver paste on the rest of the areas. Yeah, I was going to check to see if there was any sort of gap that somehow developed between the main body of the Cool Viva and the GPU core. So I guess since you ask these questions my temps are likely higher than normal temps to be seen using this card with the Cool Viva?

Mr. Miyagi    2

There is a temp bug with those drivers. To fix it, try to increase the 2D corespeed by one notch, this will fix the bug. You should wait 3 days for the thermal compound to be "cured".

talonis    0

I tried the 2D clock speed trick to no avail. I also re-did the front side of the Cool Viva assembly to make sure that it was in full contact with the GPU. Neither have helped temperatures. Looks like I may need to go back to the stock cooling until I find a better option.

talonis    0

Okay. I was going to go back to the stock unit. But the ram sinks I put on prevented me from doing it. Which, as it turns out is a good thing. I went and put the Cool Viva back on again until I could figure something else out. I was very happy to see what the temperatues were this go around. 49 idle and 66 under load. Both under what the stock unit was doing. I guess there was a small gap between the GPU and the Cool Viva. One thing I did do was to remove the foam surrounding the GPU core. I thought that perhaps it was preventing a solid mating between the surfaces, and it appears that was in fact the case. I couldn't be happier with the performance I'm now getting!