CathyS

Quick Fire TK numpad layout

CathyS    0

I have a Quick Fire TK with browns and I love it. There is one thing that would make it even better though: having the traditional navigation key layout on the numpad -- 1=End, 2=down, 3=PgDn, 4=left, etc.

I'm using various software hacks (and replacement key caps) to accomplish this, but there are a few things that aren't possible to do well with the hacks.

So, my request is for a compact layout like on the Quick Fire TK, but with a traditional numpad. (I'd also love to have Cherry MX browns with red LEDs, but that's much less important.)

Thanks for considering this!

Cathy

post-107996-0-46849600-1472450633_thumb.jpg

knud    128

Hi Cathy, 

Technical it is possible to do (in a new product). But, how about the [arrow] keys itself? Won't that be an issue? Or would you put that under a [FN] function? (Which comes back to the hybrid function of the TK board)

As for Cherry MX brown with RED led... Would RGB be okay as well?

MasterKeys Pro L RGB

MasterKeys Pro S RGB

A TK (M) version will come next year.

CathyS    0

For the arrow keys, the keys in the numpad area would send the scan codes for arrows (and PgUp, Insert, etc) when numlock isn't on, and the numbers (and .) when numlock is on. So, no need to use [FN] for arrows.

RGB LED would be cool, assuming that I've got programming options. FWIW, I like the font better on the MasterKeys than on my TK.

I'm curious how you do the lock indicators (caps, num) on the MasterKeys board. It seems like either there's a separate indicator light (as on the TK), or that there's an LED that lights through a window on the key, but that gets complicated by the backlight. Does the backlight just change color?

If it's an entirely new product (not just reusing the PCB/case from the TK), it'd be sweet to have additional keys above the numpad, in the area that just has indicator lights on the TK layout. The attached image shows a concept.

post-107996-0-28010700-1475619797_thumb.jpg

This lets PrtSc, ScrollLock, and Break be available regardless of NumLock state. Order of those keys doesn't matter much to me; e.g. NumLock could go on the far right instead of left in that group. This layout also adds a Tab key in the numpad, which is super useful when working in Excel. NumLock and CapsLock keys would need some sort of lock indicator. (Note that I haven't thought about button sizes along the bottom row; this is just showing a default, but I'm happy with the sizes on my TK. This layout also doesn't show overlay stuff like the nice media controls available with FN on my TK.)

Cathy

knud    128

For the arrow keys, the keys in the numpad area would send the scan codes for arrows (and PgUp, Insert, etc) when numlock isn't on, and the numbers (and .) when numlock is on. So, no need to use [FN] for arrows.

Ah I see. The current TK Model has this, but on different keys (0,00,2 and . ) on the numpad. 

RGB LED would be cool, assuming that I've got programming options. FWIW, I like the font better on the MasterKeys than on my TK.

I'm curious how you do the lock indicators (caps, num) on the MasterKeys board. It seems like either there's a separate indicator light (as on the TK), or that there's an LED that lights through a window on the key, but that gets complicated by the backlight. Does the backlight just change color?

Yep, our RGB models come with a software portal and a SDK for more programming options.

Lock indicators work like this: they are lit up when that key is active/enabled. And it follow the color you defined in the software or on the fly on the board directly.

If it's an entirely new product (not just reusing the PCB/case from the TK), it'd be sweet to have additional keys above the numpad, in the area that just has indicator lights on the TK layout. The attached image shows a concept.

attachicon.gif keyboard-layout.jpg

This lets PrtSc, ScrollLock, and Break be available regardless of NumLock state. Order of those keys doesn't matter much to me; e.g. NumLock could go on the far right instead of left in that group. This layout also adds a Tab key in the numpad, which is super useful when working in Excel. NumLock and CapsLock keys would need some sort of lock indicator. (Note that I haven't thought about button sizes along the bottom row; this is just showing a default, but I'm happy with the sizes on my TK. This layout also doesn't show overlay stuff like the nice media controls available with FN on my TK.)

Cathy

As for the extra keys on the top row (in our full size boards we call these P1~P4, profile keys), that could work. I'll forward your suggestions to the related team. I can't make any promises of course, but I want to thank you for your valuable input.