boddole

Has the Recon Officially Been Discontinued?

boddole    1

I really liked this mouse so I'm trying to get another, but it seems all the suppliers are 'out'. Just wondering if this has officially been discontinued before I put more effort into looking for it (and if it has, could it be marked as such on the website).

Edited by boddole

Pclinde    197

Hi boddole,

The Recon is officially discontinued. :) 

Kind regards,

Pim

Pclinde    197

Thank you for the confirmation.

You're welcome!

Saijin_Naib    0

Is there any successor or update/refresh model of the Storm Recon planned? This has been my favorite and, in my opinion, best gaming mouse I've had to date. Size is perfect, button placement is perfect, the features per dollar were great... About the only thing I dislike is how the scrollwheel doesn't have really strong detents, but that's unfortunately every mouse these days.

A refreshed Storm Recon would be right up my alley, hopefully with a clickier scrollwheel :D

Can you guys still do repairs or replacements on the Recon? Mine is well worn now.

boddole    1
On 1/17/2017 at 5:16 AM, Saijin_Naib said:

Is there any successor or update/refresh model of the Storm Recon planned? This has been my favorite and, in my opinion, best gaming mouse I've had to date. Size is perfect, button placement is perfect, the features per dollar were great... About the only thing I dislike is how the scrollwheel doesn't have really strong detents, but that's unfortunately every mouse these days.

A refreshed Storm Recon would be right up my alley, hopefully with a clickier scrollwheel :D

Can you guys still do repairs or replacements on the Recon? Mine is well worn now.

From what I learned, the model was discontinued around 2012-2013, and when I tried to RMA it (one mousewheel shaft broke...), they said they could not replace it and offered something that was completely different (not a bad mouse by any means, just not remotely the same). So we're probably all stuck as far as the Recon mouses go /sad. I'm working on 3D printing 'new parts' to fix mine.

Also, I actually liked the 'loose wheel', if you are comfortable with soldering, you could try removing the current rotary encoder and replacing it - just an idea.

*apparently CM does have a new ambi mouse "mastermouse pro L", no idea how 'good' it is compared to other options or how close it is to the Recon but it does exist (and I guess that makes it the defacto replacement). 

Edited by boddole
update

Saijin_Naib    0

Shoot, that is really bad news. It looks like I bought mine right about when they discontinued it then. Yeah, I was going to RMA mine for excessive wear of the "soft-touch" finish, but I was out of warranty by the time I got free time to send it in.

I'm okay at larger-scale soldering, but for components of this scale it's a sure-fire recipe to have me destroy my favorite mouse. Is there any other way to make it less sloppy?

I saw that, but I've been spoiled by the Recon and the placement of the two function buttons behind the wheel. I use them for play/pause and stop media controls, with two of the side bumpers being track prev/track next. This mouse is phenomenal for keeping my music flow going when I'm working.

Sigh.

I may just go to eBay and see what I can find -_-

On 1/24/2017 at 8:37 AM, boddole said:

From what I learned, the model was discontinued around 2012-2013, and when I tried to RMA it (one mousewheel shaft broke...), they said they could not replace it and offered something that was completely different (not a bad mouse by any means, just not remotely the same). So we're probably all stuck as far as the Recon mouses go /sad. I'm working on 3D printing 'new parts' to fix mine.

Also, I actually liked the 'loose wheel', if you are comfortable with soldering, you could try removing the current rotary encoder and replacing it - just an idea.

*apparently CM does have a new ambi mouse "mastermouse pro L", no idea how 'good' it is compared to other options or how close it is to the Recon but it does exist (and I guess that makes it the defacto replacement). 

boddole    1
On 1/29/2017 at 11:05 AM, Saijin_Naib said:

Shoot, that is really bad news. It looks like I bought mine right about when they discontinued it then. Yeah, I was going to RMA mine for excessive wear of the "soft-touch" finish, but I was out of warranty by the time I got free time to send it in.

I'm okay at larger-scale soldering, but for components of this scale it's a sure-fire recipe to have me destroy my favorite mouse. Is there any other way to make it less sloppy?

I saw that, but I've been spoiled by the Recon and the placement of the two function buttons behind the wheel. I use them for play/pause and stop media controls, with two of the side bumpers being track prev/track next. This mouse is phenomenal for keeping my music flow going when I'm working.

Sigh.

I may just go to eBay and see what I can find -_-

Well, as far as the soldering goes, I don't really have any great secret other than 'get better at soldering'. That said, if you don't already have a solder gun with a 'thin tip and shaft', some 'magnification glasses', and one of those 'grip helper arms' - those may help. The 'good' new is that these days you can even print your own circuit boards if you manage to destroy the one you are working on [granted, that does up the project difficulty enormously...].

As far as looking for another one I wish you luck. Last time I checked, of the 2 I could find, 1 was in Canada (in-store pickup only), and the other was listed for $150...