Hayden Watson

shock loads to motherboard from cooler

I am building a computer for use in my motorhome.  I will use an ASUS Z170-P D3 ATX motherboard on an I7-6700K CPU.  I plan to use an EVO 212 for the cooler but was wondering if the weight of the cooler hanging horizontally off the motherboard as I bounce down the road on all of the nice, smooth roads ;) would cause shock loads to the motherboard and damage it.

Note that the computer will always be shut down before travel.

Edited by Hayden Watson

knud    128

Do you have something to stabilize the cooler during transport?

Something like this could help: http://www.cmstore-usa.com/masteraccessory-universal-vga-holder-for-all-size-tower-chassis/

Because I'm not very sure how the motherboard and/or CPU will handle the shocks that come during transport.

Although the cooler is not the biggest, it does weight enough to create some force (newtons).

I am not sure i understand how this product is used.  Does it mount perminantly inside of the case?  The case is secured so that it cannot move or tip. 

My main concern is that it is a chunk of metal that is cantilevered of the face of the motherboard from a fairly small base and bouncing will cause the motherboard to bend and possibly crack.

Sunday Morning    177

Do you have something to stabilize the cooler during transport?

Something like this could help: http://www.cmstore-usa.com/masteraccessory-universal-vga-holder-for-all-size-tower-chassis/

Because I'm not very sure how the motherboard and/or CPU will handle the shocks that come during transport.

Although the cooler is not the biggest, it does weight enough to create some force (newtons).

Im agree with Mod ...  atleast need some to stable it .

I am not sure i understand how this product is used.  Does it mount perminantly inside of the case?  The case is secured so that it cannot move or tip. 

My main concern is that it is a chunk of metal that is cantilevered of the face of the motherboard from a fairly small base and bouncing will cause the motherboard to bend and possibly crack.

Since you using motor-home you should find better stand up to make it stable ... about the evo 212 i think dont have any issue to up // down left or right fan.

for more secure i think you have to use something like nylon to tie it up ( suggestion only ) :)

post-91870-0-81805100-1471486685_thumb.jpg

hope this can help

knud    128

Yes, you install this inside the case - normally on the bottom and adjust the plastic holder to hold either the graphics card or CPU cooler.

But using zipties is something that always works :)

I am beginning to think that I might be better with water cooling given that they typically have a much smaller piece attached to the CMU.  what would be a good inexpensive unit with similar performant to the 212?